When someone you know has lost a loved one, it’s hard to find the right words for a message of condolence. The person to whom you are sending your sympathy is grieving, perhaps even in a state of shock.
And if you knew the decedent, you’re mourning too! So while it’s important to get the message right, it’s also not always easy to do so.
We’re here to make it easy for you. Here are 101 condolence messages you can copy, use, and alter as you see fit.
Dealing with emotions is hard for everyone. Sometimes a written condolence message describes your feelings better. These best condolences help you to focus on what matters. The full list of condolence messages is proven and used all over the world.
Condolence Messages 2023
- I extend my deepest sympathies to you and your family. May the soul of your mother be at peace with our Heavenly Father.
- I am deeply saddened by the news of your loss. I pray God will grant you strength. My most sincere condolences.
- I can’t imagine what you must be feeling right now, but I want you to know that we are just a phone call away. My heartfelt condolences.
- Please accept my condolences. Just know that I am here for you. Please reach out, especially during this difficult time.
- May the care and love of those around you provide comfort and peace to get you through the days ahead. My most sincere condolences.
- I hope our Lord brings you and your family much-needed peace during this sad time. My condolences to you and your family.
- I am honored and blessed to have known your uncle. He was truly a blessing in my life and I will miss him. My condolences.
- Prayers and fond memories are what we have to remember our dearly departed. My most heartfelt condolences.
- Remembering her wonderful and gentle soul will forever remain in our hearts. May she rest in peace!
- A good heart has stopped beating, and a kind soul ascended to heaven. We part with our beloved grandfather in pain.
- May our Lord bless and comfort you and your family during this time of grief. Please accept my sincere condolences.
- We will never forget you. We will pray for him as he prayed for us. May God give him eternal rest.
- I am truly sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. Please accept our condolences and may our prayers help comfort you.
- I will never forget his kindness. May God gives him eternal rest and the family the strength to bear the great pain.
- We are deeply sorry for your loss. Please accept our condolences and may our prayers help comfort you.
- We hold you close in our thoughts and hope you know you can lean on us for whatever you may need. Sincere condolences.
- It was truly a pleasure to have gotten to know [Name]. He/she will be missed dearly.
- Sorry to hear of your father’s passing. I’ll always remember the huge smile on your face and the light in your eyes whenever you spoke of him. My sincere condolences.
- We hope this card finds you surrounded by love and compassion. Our most heartfelt condolences.
- Passing is devastating news. Please accept my sincere condolences.
- [Name] and family, I’m so sorry for your loss. [Name] was a great friend. You both raised such a beautiful family. Our prayers are with you.
- Eternal peace to your Father. May God watch over your family and bless them with his goodness.
- Our condolences on the passing of your mother. May time help you heal and bring you peace.
- Our sincere condolences, we are so sorry for your loss. Always thinking of you and your family.
- [Name], my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this sad time.
- My sincere condolences on the passing of your Dad. He was a great man and an exceptional teacher.
- Death relieved our loved ones of their suffering, but it puts us in pain… what a conflict. We are sorry for your loss.
- Sending you lots of love and comfort, we are so sorry for your loss.
- I appreciate knowing that your Mom is now present with our Lord.
- Let me offer my sincere condolences to you.
Inspiring Condolence Messages 2023
- May you find comfort in knowing you are not alone, those who care for you surround you.
- Please remember that we love and care about you and will be here for you always.
- It deeply saddened me to hear of your Mom’s passing. God Bless her, she was a wonderful person.
- May loving memories of [Name] comfort you. My heartfelt condolences.
- The loss of a loved one is never easy, but know we are with you through your grief.
- We are thankful to be a part of your life and hope we can offer comfort and strength during your time of need.
- My sincere condolences over the loss of [Name].
- People like [Name] are truly rare. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.
- Take solace because [Name] is in a better place, till we meet him/her again, may he/she continue to rest with the Lord. Be strong.
- You may not know this, but grieving can help you heal better, so take your time.
- Remembering you and [Name] today and always. Please accept our deepest sympathy.
- [Name] will be greatly missed by all who knew and loved him. May you find comfort in your many memories.
- My deepest condolences to the entire family. Our prayers and thoughts are with you all. May God keep you strong and united through this tough time.
- Love surrounds you and your family during this difficult time.
Short Condolence Messages 2023
- Thinking of you during this difficult time.
- My sincere condolences to you and your family.
- I’m so sorry for your loss.
- You and your family are in my prayers.
- Please let me know if there’s anything I can do for you.
- So very sorry for your loss. Here is a comforting Bible verse just for you: Psalm 23
- I wish I was there with you right now. I am so sorry.
- Do not hesitate to call or text if you need anything. I’m here for you.
- Sending great big hugs your way.
- My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please let me know if you need anything.
- Just got the news. I am so, so sorry.
- I am so sorry for your loss. How can I help you right now?
- This is so hard to believe and I’m so sorry.
- I’m so sorry you’re having to go through this.
- I know you are very busy right now but wanted you to know I’m thinking of you. Very sorry for your loss.
- Thinking about you, day and night. Please let me know if you need anything.
- I can’t imagine what you must be going through. I’m so sorry for your loss.
Christian Condolence Messages 2023
- May the Lord keep you safe under His wing as you navigate this new existence. Our prayers are with you and your family.
- We are so very sorry for your loss. Remember that _____ is with the Lord now, and no longer in any pain. If it’s any consolation, one of my favorite Bible verses to turn to when I need comfort is (insert verse). Please let me know if I can be of help.
- You may feel that you are alone right now, but please know that you are not. God is an actual presence with you right now, and I can be there right next to you too, as quick as a flash if you ever need anything.
- May this Bible verse, straight from the mouth of God, bring you peace and comfort today and in the days to come: “God is our refuge and strength. A very present help in trouble.” Psalm 46.1
- At times when I am grieved, I imagine the Lord enveloping me with his strong, caring arms, carefully holding me just like a father holding his child. I pray that it brought this heavenly comfort to you and your family today and in the days to come.
- It is our prayer that God will comfort you and your whole family during this sad time. May He richly bless you as you mourn, and may the light of His presence be a continual source of consolation.
- “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.” 2 Corinthians 1:3-4
Beautiful Christian Condolence Messages 2023
- Because I know that _____ was a believer, I just want to remind you that “Goodbye” is really “See you later.” I can’t imagine how difficult things are for you right now but keep this truth close to your heart and you will find peace.
- I pray the Lord to keep ______ close as He carries him/her with the angels straight up to heaven. And maybe bring you heavenly tranquility in knowing that He has _____ enveloped in perfect care.
- Allow me to offer you a few words from that great preacher Charles Spurgeon, who reflects on the glorious, mysterious afterlife that awaits all who believe: “It is the very joy of this earthly life to think that it will come to an end.”
- May the great Healer pass His gentle hand over your heart and soul as you come to terms with your loss.
A hand-written note or card is still the most traditional way to offer a formal message of condolence. You can simply send a letter or choose a blank card and devise your own words.
Keeping it simple is probably best so soon after their loved one has passed.
Although many of us frequently communicate via text or email, this is one instance where you should consider if this is the most appropriate choice.
Text and email contact has the advantage of speed–as does a telephone call or visit of course. But on the other hand, a card or letter takes more effort and can seem more personal.