Sending a sympathy card or expressing your condolences can be hard when you’re at a loss for words. It’s never easy finding the right message to convey your emotions when a loved one endures a difficult time period or the loss of a loved one.
However, expressing your sympathy and letting your friend or family member know that they can count on you is a necessary gesture.
A sympathy or condolence image is a picture that expresses your empathy and understanding for what the bereaved are going through. They often have fitting sympathy quotes or sayings that either offer your condolences or sum up the situation in a short line or two.
You’ll find a wide range of our own condolences listed below.
Sympathy Messages and Condolence Quotes
If you are unsure of what to write in a sympathy card, we offer a collection of condolence quotes and messages as examples:
- May memories of “Name of deceased” and the love of family surround you and give you strength in the days ahead.
- Thinking of you and wish you peace and comfort as you remember the “name of the deceased”.
- Wishing you peace to bring comfort, courage to face the days ahead, and loving memories to forever hold in your heart.
- Hold tight to memories for comfort, lean on your friends and family for strength, and always remember how much you are loved.
- Forever Remembered, Forever Missed
- We share in this time of grief, but also share in the love and memories of “Name of Deceased”.
- “Name of Deceased” will always be within your heart and the many others that loved him/her and as close as a beautiful memory.
- Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.
- Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength.
- Keeping you close in heart and prayer for the loss of your beloved “name of deceased”.
- Our deepest sympathy.
- May loving memories ease your loss and bring you comfort.
- Saying goodbye to someone we love is heartbreaking. May you find comfort in all the special memories shared with the “name of the deceased”.
- Words cannot express my sadness. May the comfort of God help you through this difficult time.
- May there be comfort in knowing that someone so special will never be forgotten.
- With love and remembrance.
- May He who knows your sorrow bring peace, comfort, and healing to your soul.
- Words seem inadequate to express the sorrow felt by the loss of “name of the deceased”. My heart is with you.
- Someone as special as the “name of the deceased” will never be forgotten. He/she will remain in our hearts forever.
- I pray that in the midst of your sorrow, you find comfort in all the joyful memories shared.
- With loving memories of “Name of Deceased”.
- Although no words can really help to ease the loss you bear, just know that you are very close in every thought and prayer.
- I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time. Please know that I am thinking of you and praying for peace and comfort.
- We will always cherish the beautiful memories of “Name of Deceased”.
- My heart is with you in your time of sorrow.
- “Name of Deceased” will be greatly missed but his/her warmth, kindness, and gentle spirit will be remembered forever.
- Cardinals appear when angels are near
Sympathy Quotes for Loss
- With our love and deepest sympathy as we remember “name of deceased”.
- Those we love don’t go away, they walk beside us every day.” –Unknown
- “As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well spent brings happy death.” –Leonardo Da Vinci
- “What is lovely never dies, But passes into other loveliness.” –Thomas Bailey Aldrich
- “Across the years I will walk with you, in deep green forests, on shores of sand and when our time on earth is through, in heaven too, you will have my hand!” –Robert Sexton
- “Darkness may hide the trees and the flowers from the eyes but it cannot hide love from the soul.” –Rumi
- “No, the camera can’t steal the soul. But it can occasionally hold it hostage.” –Unknown
- Sorrow is so easy to express and yet so hard to tell.” –Joni Mitchell
- “May you take comfort in knowing there is one more angel above us.” –Unknown
- “Grant but a memory to us and we lose nothing by death.” –Whittier
- “As we go through the journey of life, we must remember that the impressions we leave behind will define who and what we are. They are just as individual as the paths we have chosen to walk. So leave good impressions wherever you go.” –Dave Hedges
- “There is no pain so great as the memory of joy in present grief.” —Aeschylus
- “Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains. –Kahlil Gibran
- “The Remembrance of the good done those we have loved is the only consolation when we have lost them.” –Demoustier
- “What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.” —Helen Keller
- “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” –Mahatma Gandhi
- “Wishing you strength for today and hope for tomorrow.” –Renee O’Neill
- “It’s hard to forget someone who gave you so much to remember. –Unknown
- “A mother’s grief is as timeless as her love.” —Joanne Cacciatore
- “There is something about losing your mother that is permanent and inexpressible a wound that will never quite heal.” –Susan Wiggs
- “When I am lonely, I think of you and all that you brought to my life. Your memory rests gently on my soul.” –Cindy Adkins
- “To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.” –Thomas Campbell
- “Grief never ends, but it changes. It’s a passage, not a place to stay. Grief is not a sign of weakness or a lack of faith. It is the price of love.” – Unknown
- “Those we love and lose are always connected by heartstrings into infinity.” –Terri Guillemets
- “How very softly you tiptoed into our world, almost silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footsteps have left upon our hearts.” –Dorothy Ferguson
- “The object is not to forget, but to remember to go on.” – Unknown
- “What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.” –Helen Keller
- “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
- “There are some who bring a light so great to the world that even after they have gone, the light remains.” – Unknown
Religious Sympathy Quotes:
- “Earth hath no sorrow that heaven cannot heal.” –Thomas Moore
- “May He who knows your sorrow bring peace, comfort, and healing to your soul.” – Unknown
- “Please know that I am praying for your peace and comfort.” – Unknown
- “For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity.” – William Penn
- “When you lose someone you love, you gain an angel you know.” —Unknown
- “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.” – Matthew 5:4
- “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” – Psalm 46:1
- “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.” – Isaiah 43:2
Short Sympathy Quotes and Sympathy Sayings
When sending a sympathy card, it’s important to remember that the individual who’s grieving may not want to read a long message.
- “Gone from our sight, but never from our hearts.”
- “Our thoughts and prayers are with you.”
- “I wish you healing and peace.”
- “I hope you feel surrounded by much love.”
- “We are so sorry for your loss.”
- “We are thinking of you during these difficult times.”
- “May my condolences bring you comfort and may my prayers ease the pain of this loss.”
- “We pray the love for the lost is forever carried in your memory.”
- “Words can’t express how saddened we are to hear of your loss.”
- “May the memory of [insert name] bring you comfort and peace.”
- “Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength.”
- “My heart is with you in your time of sorrow.”
- “Wishing you peace and strength during this difficult time.”
- “May the sorrow you feel in your heart lighten by the love that surrounds you.”
- “I’m missing [insert name] along with you. With heartfelt condolences.”
- “Please accept my heartfelt sympathies for your loss.”
- “I am sending you this card to let you know that I am thinking of you. I am sorry for your loss.”
- “We are here for you and your family, now and forever.”
Words of Sympathy
If you’re looking for different ways of expressing your sympathy, or you feel that word repetition is taking away from the meaning of your letter, consider the alternative words of sympathy below.
Your comfort, time, and care, will never be forgotten after reaching out to a loved one who is grieving. Sympathy quotes and messages can go a long way and aid in making life a little easier for the recipient.