Can you see old text messages on iCloud? Well Absolutely! Your iCloud helps keep your messages secure, till you are ready to delete them. keep reading to know how to view them without overwriting your phone’s data.
When you create a backup of your text messages on iCloud, they will be kept safe for you, even for your future use.
And you can still access them if you still want to. The truth is iCloud can keep messages for as long as you want that messages to be kept, so yes your old texts will still be available on iCloud.
Conversations threads that might have been long forgotten will still be kept secure for you on your iCloud.
If they cannot be found, this is where reaching out to your mobile carrier comes in as they may have the transcript of your message but not the message itself.
How to See Old Texts Without Overwriting your Phone
When you want to see your old text messages, you will have to recover them and there are two options for this.
The most common one is by completely resetting your phone and this would overwrite your phone’s previous data, to prevent this from happening, you can use another method that doesn’t require your data to be overwritten.
It is a brilliant method called iCloud Merge. Although, for some reason, there have been mixed reports about how successful it can be.
Here are the steps you should take to see your old texts:
- Log into iCloud.com with your Apple ID and password.
- Tap on Text Messages. (If this option isn’t visible, it means your messages haven’t been backed up here, so you might as well skip to the next method.)
- Search the messages to find the ones you want. Now go to your iPhone and pick Settings > [your name] > iCloud.
- Put off Text Messages (or make sure it’s already turned off).
- You’ll see a popup. Pick the option to Keep On My iPhone.
- Now turn text messages back on.
- Tap Merge, then wait. After a few minutes, the deleted text messages should reappear on your iPhone.
How to See your Old Texts Using Mobile Carrier
Your service provider keeps a record of all of the messages you have sent over time.
If you have mistakenly deleted a message that is really important, you can contact your carrier to give you a copy of the message.
Note that this would only work for SMS text messages, not iMessage. All your iMessage is encrypted on your device and not opened until it reaches the receiver, so your carrier might not be able to recover them.