The 19th of January is National Popcorn Day, which celebrates one of the world’s most a-maize-ing snacks. But, aside from the fact that popcorn is a must-have at the movies, what else do you know about it?
Brief Popcorn History
Popcorn originated in the Americas, but the oldest known ears were discovered in a cave in New Mexico 5,600 years ago.
The Native Americans who discovered the crop believed that each kernel contained spirits.
When the kernels are heated, the spirits become enraged and begin to shake in rage, eventually bursting out of their homes.
To make popcorn, heat the corn kernels until the pressure inside builds up and eventually explodes, resulting in a fluffy, flower-like structure.
They are usually sweetened or salted to taste in North America and served with salted butter or a butter-like topping.
Popcorns make for a very healthy snack without the extra condiments that go into the preparation and they are pretty much everywhere.
Maize is a staple food all over the world, so it’s no surprise that maize-based products like popcorn have become a global phenomenon.
Types of Popcorn
There are two types of Popcorn, but yellow Popcorn is more popular because it is what we are all familiar with from movie theaters.
Other sweetened varieties of popcorn, such as caramel popcorn, chocolate popcorn, and kettle popcorn, can be used for a variety of crafts in addition to eating.
Speaking of movies, they cannot be enjoyed without popcorn; they are a match made in heaven, and you simply must have them.
That is why they are more expensive in movie theaters than anywhere else, and they profit greatly from it.
Some people even eat them for breakfast or dessert because you can never have enough popcorn.
That is why the National Popcorn Board decided to celebrate this delicious, fluffy snack on January 19th.
Popcorn Fun Facts
Here are some interesting popcorn facts to get you a-maized.
1. Americans consume enough popcorn each year to fill the Empire State Building 18 times (roughly 17 billion quarts!)
2. Popcorn contains more protein than any other cereal grain, and it also contains more iron than eggs or roast beef.
3. Popcorn is high in fiber, low in calories, and free of sodium, sugar, and fat. A cup of plain popcorn has only 31 calories!
4. Each seed of popcorn contains a small amount of water, which turns to steam when heated. This steam generates pressure. The kernel will explode when the pressure reaches about 135 pounds per square inch.
5. Kernels that are too dry will not produce steam (or pressure) and will not pop.
6. These unpopped kernels are jokingly referred to as “old maids,” “widows,” or “spinsters.”
7. Refrigeration removes moisture from popcorn kernels. To reduce the number of spinsters at the bottom of your bowl, store them in a cool, dry cupboard.
8. Around the year 300, the world’s oldest known popper, a shallow vessel with a handle and a hole on top, was created.
9. The first popcorn machine appeared 1,500 years later, at the Chicago World’s Fair in 1893.
10. Native American tribes used to season popcorn with dried herbs and spices, possibly even chili. They also turned popcorn into soup and beer, as well as headdresses and corsages!
11. Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, and Ohio are the states that produce the most popcorn.
12. Popcorn kernels have the ability to fly up to 3 feet in the air.
Funny Popcorn Sayings
1. I despise ordinary popcorn. I should try some with butter.
2. There is no better combination than popcorn and movies. They are butter together.
3. I despise it when someone knocks my popcorn over. I still s-corn them for that, accident or not.
4. In-the-pan-dance Day is a favorite holiday of popcorn.
5. Take a look! With my bag of popcorn, I received free butterfingers.
6. When the popcorn found his long-lost friend, he promised to pop over to his place.
7. The angry popcorn was offended by the jokester’s corny joke.
8. Popcorns, like everyone else, can see through their corn-ea.
9. The corn-erstone of any movie night is popcorn.
10. We ate a lot of popcorn at the movies. We had a grain time!
11. You can’t flee without having to face the corn-sequences of stealing my popcorn.
12. KFC uses chicken Kernels to make popcorn chicken.
13. When the popcorn found his best friend, he inquired, “What’s popping?”
14. I have a lot of admiration for people who sell popcorn in movie theaters. At work, they make a lot of corn-cessions.
15 Because of the butter flavoring, I enjoy butter popcorn.
16. The prosecutors filed charges against the popcorn for a-salt and buttery.
17. We’ve all heard of Kernel Sanders, who invented popcorn chicken.
18. A pop star is a well-known celebrity popcorn.
19. A pupcorn is a dog’s favorite type of popcorn.
20. Instead of popcorn country, call it a corn-try.
Corny Popcorn Jokes
1. Why aren’t there more popcorn jokes? Because they’re corny.
2. What makes cheddar popcorn such a bad joke? It’s corny and cheesy at the same time.
3. A cornball dance is the name for a dance party held in a cornfield.
4. I’m not sure which is cuter: baby corn or sweet corn. I’m corn-fused.
5. Because there was a breach of corn-tract, the corn did not want to corn-tinue working in his job.
6. The corn-flict between the two kernels finally came to a corn-clusion.
7. Corn-ivorous animals are any animal species that survives by eating corn.
8. Be cautious of the cornfield. It is a difficult maize to navigate through.
9. I called the cobs on the corn-man because he was a criminal.
10. Only the cream of the crop can become kernels.
11. My boss was very corn-siderate when my personal problems cropped up in the last meeting.
12. What music makes popcorn dance? Hip Pop.
13. What is popcorn’s preferred pizza topping? Popperoni.
14. What did the baby corn have to say to the mother corn? “Where has my popcorn gone?”
15. I just burned 400 calories because I left the popcorn in the microwave for too long.
16. How does a bag of popcorn compare to an army? It’s packed with kernels.
17. A single corn kernel should be referred to as a uni-corn.
18. Corn kernels are usually born with the Capri-corn sun sign.
19. The corn-vict was charged with mis-cornduct in court.
20. When one corn asked the other for a secret, he replied, “I am all ears”
National Popcorn Day Quotes
2. Popcorn is one of the simplest and most delicious foods to eat. On this Popcorn Day, I wish you plenty of popcorn whenever you want it.
3. No matter how much you eat, your desire for popcorn will always drive you to consume more of it. Warm greetings on Popcorn Day.
4. Warm greetings on Popcorn Day. May every kernel of popcorn you’ve properly popped bring you joy.
6. Popcorn Day reminds us that it is time to sit with our loved ones, gossip, or watch a movie while munching on popcorn. Have a wonderful Popcorn Day.
7. It’s time to celebrate them, whether you like them caramelized or salted, cheesy or chili. On Popcorn Day, best wishes.
8. I only have one thing I don’t want to share with anyone, and that is my tub of popcorn. I hope you have a wonderful Popcorn Day.
Celebrate National Popcorn Day by eating a big bowl of popcorn with your favorite garnishes.
Get your friends together and munch while you reminisce about the good times or watch a movie together.
You can also decorate your room with popcorn crafts or make wreaths to wear and take silly pictures for social media.
When you post your pictures, use the hashtag #PopcornDay to connect with other popcorn lovers all over the world.