These empowering divorce messages will help you get through the pain of separation. If you or someone you know is going through a divorce, words of comfort can assist to soothe the soul.
This collection of quotes about divorce can raise you up when you’re feeling scared, confused, angry, or sad. Divorce can be a heartbreaking and lonely experience, but these sayings will remind you of your strength.
You can heal, move on, and get through the heartbreak of this hard time. Mending a broken heart takes time, but complete healing is attainable.
Words of comfort, empowerment, and truth can uplift us during times of grief. If you’re struggling with mixed emotions, these divorce quotes will inspire you. You are stronger and more resilient than you understand.
These quotes come from the minds of relationship specialists, people who have experienced divorce, and legendary thinkers. Keep their advice and insight in mind as you continue on your expedition.
Divorce Quotes to Help You Move On
You will easily move on from the past using these messages.
1. “When two people decide to get a divorce, it isn’t a sign that they ‘don’t understand one another, but a sign that they have, at least, begun to.” – Helen Rowland
2. “You never really know a man until you have divorced him.” – Zsa Zsa Gabor
3. “Don’t spend time beating on a wall, hoping it will transform into a door.” – Coco Chanel
You will also enjoy our article on separation quotes.
4. “Divorce isn’t the child’s fault. Don’t say anything unkind about your ex to the child, because you’re really just hurting the child.” – Valerie Bertinelli
5. “Do not look for healing at the feet of those who broke you.” – Rupi Kaur
6. “Divorce isn’t such a tragedy. A tragedy’s staying in an unhappy marriage, teaching your children the wrong things about love. Nobody ever died of divorce.” – Jennifer Weiner
7. “If you spend your time hoping someone will suffer the consequences for what they did to your heart, then you’re allowing them to hurt you a second time in your mind.” – Shannon L. Alder
8. “What we wait around a lifetime for with one person, we can find in a moment with someone else.” – Stephanie Klein
9. “I was a high-functioning depressive, seemingly pulled together and buttoned down. But inside deep, I was numb and mute. Now on the other side of divorce, I know that was me fragmented and doing my best to cope. But my body knew.” – Liza Caldwell.
10. “I used to think that divorce meant failure, but now I see it more as a step along the path of self-realization and growth.” – Alana Stewart
- Lying Messages & Quotes About Liars & Lies
- Best Beach Messages & Quotes
- Disappointment Quotes to Inspire You
- Beautiful Happy Married Life Wishes to Friend
- Trust Messages for Friends, Family, and Partners
Divorce Quotes for Healing
These are the very best messages for healing.
11. “When people divorce, it’s always such a tragedy. At the same time, if people stay together it can be even worse.” – Monica Bellucci
12. “Why don’t you just pretend that the asshole dropped dead? You can’t call or write to a dead man. Put a couple of candles in front of his picture, say a few Hail Marys, and get it over with.” – Isabel Lopez.
13. “It always gets worse before it can get better. But it will get better. Like everything else, and like our past struggles, at some point, we win, but before that win, there’s always that loss that spurs us on.” – Dolores Huerta
14. “Freeing yourself was one thing, claiming ownership of that freed self was another.” – Toni Morrison
15. “Imagine spreading everything you care about on a blanket and then tossing the whole thing up in the air. The process of divorce is about loading that blanket, throwing it up, watching it all spin, and worrying what stuff will break when it lands.” – Amy Poehler
16. “Heartbreak is a loss. Divorce is a piece of paper.” – Taylor Jenkins Reid
17. “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.” – Deborah Reber
18. “Taking a thing apart is always faster than putting something together. This is true of everything except marriage.” – Joe Hill
19. “I have not ceased being fearful, but I have ceased to let fear control me.” – Erica Jong
20. “Don’t be afraid. Be focused. Be determined. Be hopeful. Be empowered.” – Michelle Obama
Divorce Quotes to Lift You Up
Give your spirit a lift with these divorce messages.
21. “I’d rather regret the things I’ve done than regret the things I haven’t done.” – Lucille Ball
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also like these domestic violence quotes for support and strength.
22. “Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.” – Carol Burnett.
23. “Every broken heart has screamed at one time or another: Why can’t you see who I truly am?” – Shannon L. Alder
24. “The snag about marriage is, it isn’t worth the divorce.” – Suzanne Finnamore
25. “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.” – Maya Angelou
26. “Don’t have regrets. You can learn something from every experience.” – Ellen DeGeneres
27. “Divorce shreds the muscles of our hearts so that they will hardly beat without a struggle.” – E. Lockhart
28. “Perhaps sometimes reminding ourselves that we do have a choice makes it easier to pick the harder one.” – Eva Melusine Thieme
29. “It was a long time in the making, my divorce. One day became less special than the [one before], and pretty soon we ceased all conversation. It is a sad day when you have nothing left to say.” – Ricki Lake
30. “The process of discovering with somebody that you love that you don’t work is so painful.” – Kate Hudson
Divorce Quotes to Strengthen You
These messages will unleash the strength in you to carry on with your life.
31. “Stop wearing your wishbone where your backbone ought to be.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
32. “Maybe, in the final analysis, they saw me as something I wasn’t and I tried to turn them into something they could never be. I loved them all but maybe I never understood any of them. I don’t think they understood me.” – Ava Gardner.
33. “The good thing about getting divorced young — if there is a good thing — is that it makes you realize there’s no schedule in life. It blasts you wide open and frees you to be honest with yourself.”–Olivia Wilde
34. “Divorce lawyers stoke anger and fear in their clients, knowing that as long as the conflicts remain unresolved the revenue stream will keep flowing.” – Craig Ferguson
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of insightful lawyer quotes about justice for all.
35. “When we truly care for ourselves, it becomes possible to care about other people. The more alert and sensitive we are to our own needs, the more loving and generous we can be towards others.” – Eda LeShan
36. “There’s no pain or failure like going through a divorce.” – Jennifer Lopez
37. “The arrangements that couples make in order to maintain civility in the midst of their journey to divorce are often most elaborate when the professed top priority is to protect a child.” – John Irving
38. “It’s not the load that breaks you down, it’s the way you carry it.” – Lena Horne
39. “Those who divorce aren’t necessarily the most unhappy, just those neatly able to believe their misery is caused by one other person.” – Alain de Botton
40. “Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What’s important is the action. You don’t have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow.” – Carrie Fisher
Insightful Divorce Quotes
Reach out for these deep messages any time you need to tell yourself some truths about divorce.
41. “A horrible end is better than endless horror.” – Oliver Markus
42. “Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got.” – Robert Brault
43. “Divorce is expensive. I used to joke they were going to call it ‘all the money,’ but they changed it to ‘alimony.’ It’s ripping your heart out through your wallet.” – Robin Williams
44. “Staying married may have long-term benefits. You can elicit much more sympathy from friends over a bad marriage than you ever can from a good divorce.” – P. J. O’Rourke
45. “I do not consider divorce an evil by any means. It is just as much a refuge for women married to brutal men as Canada was to the slaves of brutal masters.” – Susan B. Anthony
46. “Divorce can be crazy. Man, if you’re happy … Love is a beast, man. Hold on. Be prepared for any way it may go, and be honest.” – Nas
47. “Divorce is a game played by lawyers.” – Cary Grant
48. “If you made a list of reasons why any couple got married, and another list of the reasons for their divorce, you’d have a hell of a lot of overlapping.” – Mignon McLaughlin
49. “Divorce is one of the most financially traumatic things you can go through. Money spent on getting mad or getting even is money wasted.” – Richard Wagner
50. “I used to hope that you’d bring me flowers. Now I plant my own.” – Rachel Wolchin
- Best Sample Thank You Messages
- Cute Animal Messages, Quotes, and Captions
- Sincere Thank You Message to Colleagues
- Beauty Messages and Quotes
- Uplifting Good Morning Bible Verses Messages
The Bottom Line
Going through a divorce can be the most challenging, painful period of someone’s life. If you or someone you know is dealing with divorce, share these comforting messages with them.
This list of divorce messages can offer guidance and support during times of struggle. If you’re feeling heartbroken, alone, or scared, read these inspiring sayings for comfort.
You have the power and strength to move on from this distress and live a successful life. These divorce messages will help you heal and process your emotions.
The end of a marriage is a complicated and tough time that can bring up a lot of negative emotions. If you’re struggling to cope with divorce, these uplifting quotes will assist to calm your soul.
Share these powerful messages with your family, children, and friends to help them understand this situation.