What Does it Mean to Bump a Post on Facebook?
You’re scrolling through your favorite Facebook group and in comments, you see the word “Bump.” You may even see it multiple times on the same post.
What Does Bump Mean?
In the traditional sense of the word, bumping means to knock or run into someone or something.
When you bump a post, though, you push it to the top of the page, where it hopefully will be seen by more people.
According to Urban Dictionary, “bump” may also be an acronym for “bring up my post.”
Bumping a Thread
So what does it mean to bump a thread? Today, you’ll most commonly see bumping on Facebook. But it actually got its start in message boards in the 90s.
I knew posts and their comments in those days as “threads,” and the thread with the most recent comments added to it would appear at the top.
By commenting on an important post, community members could make sure it remained toward the top, rather than buried among past posts.
Bumping Posts on Facebook
But what does bump mean on Facebook? As Facebook groups have grown in popularity, bumping has become more visible.
However, for moderators and admins, pinning a post to the top may be a more effective way to keep an important post active.
Bumping only moves a post to the top temporarily. As soon as comments begin appearing on other posts, that bumped post will move down until once again, someone will need to bump it.
A pinned post, on the other hand, stays at the top until someone in charge unpins it.
Bumping Posts and Internet Etiquette
As useful as a post bump can be, it can also be seen as rude, particularly if you continuously bump your own post to the top.
Often this behavior is reserved for a post that can be helpful to the community at large.
If the guidelines for a Facebook group have changed, for instance, a member or moderator might bump the post to make sure everyone gets the chance to see it.
- How to Cancel a Steam Account
- How to Configure PCSX2
- Steps to Convert Acsm to PDF
- How to Block & Unblock a Phone Number
Bumping and Deleting
One way to bump a post secretly is to comment on the post, verify it’s gone to the top, then delete your comment.
It should remain at the top. No one will see that you commented on it and you’ll have achieved your goal of keeping the post visible.
Steps To Bump a Post on Facebook
- Open the Facebook website on the browser or the app. log into your Facebook account by entering your email address along with your Facebook password.
- Search for or open a Facebook group in which you want to BUMP a post, as per your choice. Note that you can only BUMP post in Facebook groups.
- Now you need to look for the post you need to bump from the group you have opened. Keep in mind to select an appropriate post according to the time it has been up.
- Type a remark in the comment section. You can in general sort of type “BUMP” or something comparable while knocking a post.
- After that click on the post button. The comment will be posted, and the post will be bumped or reach the top of the newsfeed.
There is never a time that isn’t right to help. If this information was useful to you, do well to share it with friends and loved ones.
It’s your turn to help other people. You can share this article on your favorite social media handle.