Walmart Cashback Limit 2021: Paying With Credit and Debit Card
Getting cashback at Walmart means you don’t have to look for an ATM and you avoid paying any applicable ATM fees but it has a limit. However, we’ll walk you through the process of getting cash back at Walmart with a list of similar stores that also offer cashback at checkout.
The Cashback limit at Walmart is up to $100 on debit cards and Discover credit card transactions. If paying by personal check, you can get $20 cashback. Cashback at Walmart is available at regular registers and self-checkout stations.
How to Get a Cashback at Walmart
At Walmart, the cashback limit is $100 on debit card purchases. For checks, the cashback limit is $20. Cashback can be issue in multiples of $20. That is, you can get either $20, $40, $60, $80, or $100 per transaction.
If you need more than $100 in cash back at Walmart, you can try making multiple transactions and request cashback each time. If you try this, you might have to switch registers because each one has limited cash.
When we double-checked with customer service, they were unable to provide a definite answer as to whether Walmart charges for cashback, and recommended checking with your local store.
However, it’s extremely unlikely that you’ll be charged for cashback; but you do have to make a purchase, otherwise, you’ll have to use an ATM.
Most Walmart stores are open 24 hours. For stores that aren’t open 24 hours, the typical hours are 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Cashback Limit at Walmart When Paying with a Debit Card
Debit cards are the most common and reliable payment type for getting cashback. At Walmart, you can get up to $100 cashback on a debit card purchase at a regular register or self-checkout station.
If you want more than $100, you can make multiple transactions and request cashback each time. Using this method, you might run into another limit — your debit card’s daily transaction limit.
This is typically a limit on the amount of money you can spend on the card each day and is meant to protect against fraud and card theft.
You’ll also be limited by how much money you have in your account. If you select more cashback than is available in your account, your card might be declined.
At most banks, you can opt-in to an overdraft program that allows you to use more funds than you have in your account (up to a set limit). There is often a fee associated.
If you’ve activated this program, you’ll be able to get cashback even if you don’t have enough money in your account.
To get cashback using your debit card at Walmart:
- Head to the register to check out and ring up your purchase like normal.
- When it’s time to insert your card, be sure to run it as a debit (if you are paying with a debit card but select credit on the machine, you might not be able to get cashback).
- The machine (whether you’re at a traditional or self-checkout lane) should ask whether you want cashback. Select yes and choose the amount. Confirm your purchase by entering your PIN. If the machine doesn’t ask you whether you want cashback, ask the cashier if you can get cashback before entering your PIN.
- Your card will be charged for the full amount — the value of your purchase plus the amount of cashback. The cashier will give you your receipt and your cash.
- Blue Nile Credit Card Complete Usage Guide & Credit Card Review
- Bank of America Check Cashing 2021 Update: Limits, Fees, and Duration
- Can You Load a Prepaid Card With a Credit Card?
- 7 Apps That You Can Use to Round up Your Purchases
- Chase Freedom Unlimited Card Complete Guide & Credit Card Review
When Paying with a Credit Card
Usually, you can’t get cashback when paying with a credit card. If you can get cashback with your credit card, the transaction will usually be treated as a cash advance.
Cash advances are subject to a fee, and interest begins accruing immediately, rather than at the end of the billing period, as with most credit card transactions. Before getting a cash advance, check your rates.
One of the few credit cards that allow cashback is the Discover Card through its cash over the program. Walmart accepts Discover and participates in the cash over the program.
At Walmart, you can get $100 cashback when you use your Discover Card. And, unlike other credit cards, there will be no fee for your cashback.
Walmart accepts personal checks as a payment type, and you can get $20 cashback when paying with a check. Simply follow these steps:
- Check out at the cash register as normal (you can’t pay by check at the self-checkout).
- When it’s time to pay, ask the cashier if you can pay with a personal check and get cashback. To pay with a personal check, you’ll need to show a government-issued, photo ID.
- Make your check out for the value of your purchase plus up to $20 cashback. Give the cashier your check and show your ID.
- The cashier will scan your check through a check verification service to protect against fraud. Walmart uses either Certegy or TeleCheck. Provided the system doesn’t reject your check, the cashier will give you your receipt and your cashback.
Other Ways to Get Cash at Walmart
Some Walmart stores have ATMs in-store. If your bank does not offer ATM services, you’ll be subject to an ATM fee, so getting cash back is probably cheaper, even if you’ll have to buy a pack of gum or another small item for the sake of making a transaction.
Also, there is what is called check-cashing services. Walmart also offers check-cashing services, but they won’t cash a personal check.
Walmart will only cash cashier’s checks, government checks, insurance settlement checks, payroll checks, tax refund checks, and 401(k) or retirement distribution checks that are printed.
They’ll never cash a check that’s handwritten. The fee is $3 for checks up to $1,000 and $6 for checks over $1,000 and up to $5,000.
In conclusion, Walmart can give you up to $100 cashback, depending on your payment type. To get more than $100, you can make multiple purchases and request cashback each time.
You can get cashback on purchases made with your debit card, Discover credit card, or a personal check. Why not take advantage of cashback? It’s definitely cheaper than the typical ATM fee.
If this article is useful then so will your friends, why not share it on your social media platforms.