The Suncoast credit union offers all the advantages of a national bank – banking products, mortgages, loans, credit cards, and more – but with a not-for-profit mentality.
It is Florida’s largest credit union, serving more than 774,000 members across Florida. The full-service institution provides its customers with banking products and investment services like checking accounts and savings accounts.
They also provide loans, plus financial resources like counseling, online calculators, workshops, and webinars.
In this article:
- Suncoast Credit Union Overview
- Pros and Cons of Suncoast
- Checking and Savings Accounts of Suncoast
- Suncoast Credit Cards
- Suncoast Loans
Suncoast Credit Union Overview
It was founded in the 1930s in Hillsborough County by a group of teachers to serve the local educational force.
In 2013, Suncoast Credit Union converted to a state charter and opened membership to everyone who “lives, works, worships or attends schools” in 21 counties in southwestern Florida.
Your options as a member include regular banking products, such as savings accounts, money market accounts, and checking accounts, as well as mortgage loans, auto loans, and credit cards.
The credit union has 64 branches and partners with the Co-Op network and Publix grocery store ATMs to offer more than 3,000 free ATMs within the state and 30,000 nationwide.
Pros and Cons of Suncoast
- Community-oriented (not-for-profit) full-service credit union offers more member benefits than most retail banks
- Interest-earning checking accounts
- Membership includes access to discounts, scholarships, and charitable giving
- Savings account interest rates are not the most competitive compared to online banking competitors
- Only available to residents in 21 counties in Florida
Checking and Savings Accounts of Suncoast
Suncoast offers customers both checking and savings accounts for their financial needs. Both types of accounts take advantage of the SunMobile app and yield dividends.
|Accounts at a Glance|
|Name||Type||Initial Deposit||Minimum Balance||Dividend Rate||APY|
|Regular Share Membership||Savings||$5||$5||0.15%||0.15%|
|Smart Start Checking||Checking||$25||$0||0.05%||0.05%|
|Information accurate as of July 13, 2018.|
Only the Regular Share Membership requires a minimum balance. For community-minded individuals, every time you use your Smart Start Checking debit card, Suncoast donates money to benefit local schools.
- Personal Loan Companies
- Market competition and Method Winning Customers
- Monopolistic competition and How to Apply
- Perfect competition and How to Apply
Suncoast Credit Cards
- No annual fee
- Rewards do not expire
- Fee-free balance transfers, cash advances or convenience checks
- No punitive interest rates for late or missed payments
- 25-day interest-free period for new purchases
- No charge when different users also get a card
- Free automatic car rental insurance
- 24/7 online and telephone access for inquiries, cash advances, and payments
- Monthly payments are either 2 percent of the balance or $10, whichever is greater
- Automatically updates cardholder data with participating merchants
|Suncoast Credit Union Credit Cards At a Glance|
|Name||Purchase APR||Cash Advance APR||Balance Transfer APR||Credit Limit|
|Rewards Platinum||8.90%||10.90%||10.90%||$500 to $30,000|
|Rewards Classic Starter||12.90%||14.90%||14.90%||$300 to $500|
|Rewards Student Classic||12.90%||14.90%||14.90%||$500|
|Rewards Share Secured||14.90%||16.90%||16.90%||$500 to $2,000|
|Information accurate as of July 13, 2018.|
Besides financing a car through Suncoast, members can also refinance their vehicle to get a lower APR, shop for vehicles through its Members Only Car Sale, or augment their recreational activities through a watercraft, RV or motorcycle loan with no application fee or prepayment penalty.
Suncoast lets you know how your home-buying process is going thanks to its Loan Status Update. This sends electronic updates regarding what stage your loan is at, what the next steps are, and what to expect next from your mortgage team.
Suncoast’s home improvement loans come with fixed-rate interest, and it will pay up to $500 in closing costs.
Customers can take out personal loans of up to $30,000, which do not require an application fee and do not carry a prepayment penalty. Suncoast also offers loans specific to computer purchases and personal lines of credit.
1. When will my business checking account be assessed a fee?
If the account has a fee (see our Fee Schedule), the fee will assess at the end of the month.
2. Do I receive a discount when I order business checks online?
No. Business members pay the regular price for checks, whether via phone, Internet or in person.
3. Does Suncoast accept federal tax payments for businesses (Form 941, 1120, etc.) at the service center?
No. However, business members may make their tax payments electronically through the free Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS). For more information please visit the EFTPS site or see IRS Publication 966.
4. What about cash or coin deposits?
Suncoast is not equipped to handle large cash or coin deposits. Self-service coin machines are available at each branch for small coin deposits. Fees do apply.
5. How about cash or coin orders?
Suncoast is not equipped to supply cash or coin orders to businesses.
Suncoast Credit Union is a solid choice for those who qualify for membership. You have your pick of savings accounts, checking accounts – even auto loans, credit cards, and mortgages. A regional credit union, it has all the offerings of a larger bank chain.
Even better, it operates as a not-for-profit. That can mean better loan terms and community engagement.
Suncoast boasts about the charitable foundation it operates and even has solar-powered buildings in an effort to support energy efficiency and green initiatives
Was this article useful? If Yes! Please leave your comment. For more related articles, subscribe to our page.
Suncoast Credit Union credit cards have APRs as low as: