-Stores That Hire At 16-
Are you under 16 years of age and looking for a job? If yes, then listen up. There is good news for you. Many 14 and 15-year-olds have reasons for wanting to work. You might want to start saving for college early.
Then look no further, for here in this article on Stores That Hire At 16, I’ve listed here the top best stores and companies that hire teens.
From clothing stores to food service locations, stores like Forever 21, Gap, JCPenney, Kroger, Panera Bread, and more hire teens to work in-store.
Some clothing stores also hire models for their brand, primarily through modeling agencies like Future Faces NYC and Next Model Management.
If you’re looking for Stores That Hire At 16, we have the lists of places that hire at 14 and 15, as well as those that hire at 17. However, before then, be informed that there are labor laws for minors.
Labor Laws for Minors
When looking for a job as a teenager, keep in mind that most states typically require minors to obtain a work permit with the help of a legal parent/guardian.
The Department of Labor lists the states that require minors to have a work permit and/or an age certificate.
Also, most stores only have a few slots open for younger employees — partially because minors can only work limited hours — while other stores only hire teens as seasonal employees.
Note: Retail jobs for minors typically pay minimum wage. The current minimum hourly wage as set by the Department of Labor is $7.25.
However, employers may pay employees under age 20 a minimum hourly wage of $4.25 for the first 90 days of employment or until the employee reaches age 20, whichever comes first.
The List of Stores that Hire at 16
Below, we have listed the retail establishments that hire minors. However, most set the hiring age at 16, but some hire teens as young as 14.
The three main types of businesses that are willing to hire younger workers are:
- Grocery stores
- Entertainment venues
Restaurant Chains Stores that Hire at 16
This list is just a sample. Here are more national restaurant chains that will hire 14 and 15-year-olds.
Arby’s Restaurants first opened in the 1960s. Today they have over 3400 locations in the U.S. And they have some of the best roast beef sandwiches around.
Many Arby’s locations will hire 14 and 15-year-olds for positions such as cashier, food prep, and cleaning positions.
Hiring age and working schedule may vary by location and based on state-specific laws.
2. Burger King
One of my first jobs was at Burger King, and I started at age 15. They do hire 14-year-olds as well in some of their 17,000+ locations. Check with local locations for more details.
The flame-broiled burgers are a big draw for customers and employees alike. You can work here on the clean-up crew, as a cashier, or in other positions.
3. Baskin Robbins
Ahh, Baskin Robbins. The home of endless flavors of ice cream. They’ve got nearly 3,000 locations in the United States alone.
With stores in 46 out of the 50 states, you may be able to find one near you. Baskin Robbins will typically hire as young as 14 at most stores.
4. Kentucky Fried Chicken
KFC has over 4,400 locations in the U.S. and over 22,000 locations worldwide. People just can’t get enough of that chicken!
KFC restaurant locations in some areas hire 14 and 15-year-olds as customer service providers or clean-up crew positions.
5. Ben and Jerry’s
More ice cream. Ben and Jerry’s is the home of famously surprising ice cream concoctions. Have you tried their famous Chunky Monkey?
Ben and Jerry’s has scoop shops throughout the U.S. They hire workers as young as 14 years old at most stores.
6. Dairy Queen
Dairy Queen has over 4,000 locations in the U.S. They hire workers as young as 14 years old. Available jobs vary by location.
You might work as a cashier, food preparer or cook, or a restaurant cleaner.
Retail Stores that Hire at 16
1. American Eagle Outfitters
American Eagle has over 1,000 stores in the US, Mexico, Canada, China, and Hong Kong. They generally hire teenagers 16 years or older to stock shelves or as a brand ambassador to help with floor sales and register transactions.
- List of Stores and Places that Hire at 16 and Employ Teenagers
- Jobs that Hire at 15 and 40 Places that Hire 15-Year-Olds
- Grocery Stores Near You in the United States and Top 15 Grocery Chains
- Stores That a 17-Year Old can Get a Job and Positions that are Available
2. The Banana Republic
Banana Republic has over 500 clothing stores in the US and Puerto Rico. The minimum age requirement to work there is 16 years old. Entry-level positions are eligible for stock associate or store associate positions.
Aeropostale has over 780 stores in the United States and Puerto Rico. The retail store also has 350 locations in foreign countries around the world.
It’s the best place to work for teens who enjoy cheap trendy clothes for young men and women.
Levi’s is the world’s leading branded denim jeans company with over 220 locations in the United States. They employ thousands of people in the US. The Levi’s retail stores start hiring at 16.
5. Barnes & Noble College
Barnes & Noble College has more than 750 campus stores in 50 states. This is the best place to work for teens who like to read, meet great customers, and have unlimited books at their fingertips.
6. Best Buy
Best Buy is one of the largest consumer electronics retailers with over 1,000 locations in the US and across the country. The hiring age is 16, but some stores require you to be 17 or even 18.
Jobs for minors include car installation, cashier, customer service, and asset protection to prevent theft.
Sears still has about 40 remaining stores. It has additional affiliates, including Sears Appliance & Hardware stores, Home Appliance Showroom, Hometown Stores, Sears Outlets, Lands’ End, and Orchard Supply Hardware.
The minimum Sears hiring age is 16 years old. First-time jobs for teens include human resources, call center, merchandising, sales, or receiving associate.
There are additional opportunities to be a tire and battery installer, field operations specialist, or loss prevention associate if you are at least 18 years old.
8. CVS Health
CVS Health has about 10,000 retail pharmacies and health care locations in 49 states.
Also, CVS’s age requirement is a minimum of 16 years old. Potential positions include cashier, beauty care associate with makeup and skincare knowledge or sales associate to organize shelves and assist customers.
The Hy-Vee grocery stores have 240 store locations in the Midwestern United States. Some stores hire 14- and 15-year-olds and some don’t. Positions for younger workers vary.
Some of these stores do hire workers as young as 14 years of age. You’ll have to check with your local store to verify whether they hire at 14. This is because each state’s lawn varies regarding hiring age.
Modeling Agencies that Hire Kids and Teens
Since several of the companies that hire teenagers only use modeling agencies to hire models, if you’re looking for a modeling gig, you may want to contact one of the following top modeling agencies that represent teens, children, and babies:
- Elite Model Management (This agency only accepts submissions from females ages 14 to 19.)
- Future Faces NYC (This agency specifically represents kids and teens.)
- Next Model Management
- Model Scouts (This is a model management and scouting company that helps people land jobs with the top modeling agencies.)
Tips for Landing a Retail Job as a Teen
Keep the following tips in mind throughout your job search to help you find and qualify for the right opportunities:
- Put together a resume. Even if the application doesn’t ask for one, it might be a good idea to write one. A resume will help you make a good impression, and you’ll be able to use it as a starting point as you gain more work experience. Consider looking at a tutorial the first time you put together a resume.
- Practice filling out a job application. You’ll want to make sure that your job application is filled out completely and accurately. If it’s your first time applying for a job, it never hurts to practice filling out a few job applications until you feel satisfied with your answers. Before turning your application in, be sure there aren’t any grammatical or spelling errors.
- Make sure you have the proper paperwork. Most states require minors to obtain a work permit and/or an age certificate. As noted above, the U.S. Department of Labor lists which states require minors to have a work permit and/or an age certificate.
More Tips for Landing a Retail Job as a Teen
- Gather references. A retail job will typically ask you to provide two to four references. You’ll want your references to come from people who know you well but aren’t your parents or immediate family. Teachers, coaches, mentors, or any other adult in your life for whom you’ve done some odd jobs are the best people to ask.
- Practice your interview skills. If you can, get your parents or another adult to help you with a mock interview. Practice answering interview questions until you feel confident enough to go through with the real thing.
- Dress the part. The way you look during an interview is just as important as how well you answer the interviewer’s questions. You don’t have to wear formal attire, but you should look clean and put together. Also, the interview may be the one time you’ll want to ask your parents for help picking out an outfit.
- Accept the job offer and work hard. If you stick with it, you should get at least one job offer. After you’ve made sure you actually want the job, you can accept the offer and make a plan to be the best worker you can be. Do your best to commit to the job after you’ve accepted it, as this will now become a part of your resume.
- Auto Repair Shops Near You
- Getting the Best Student Loans Without a Cosigner
- Discover Personal Loan Review
- List of Coffee Shops Near You
- Metal Credit Cards
- List of Coffee Shop Near You and 70 Best Cafes and Espresso Bars 2022
Benefits of Working at a Young Age
- Learning about the responsibility of work
- Understanding the value of earning money
- Learning to give, save, spend, and budget
- Earning money for goals such as college or a car purchase
While there are limited teen jobs, many retail stores hire at 15 and older.
A working youth will learn about time management, increased independence and responsibility, customer service skills, pricing, money management skills, and more. These are not jobs where you work alone, but places where you learn teamwork.
I believe this article on Stores That Hire At 16 was informative. Please feel free to leave a comment, like, and share with friends and family!