If you like to travel in style, then you could earn rewards while you spend with the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card Amex. It has also been one of the best travel credit cards. Read on to learn more about all you need to know about credit cards.
In this article, this where the point alighted;
- Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card Overview
- Eligibility and Requirements
- Benefits of the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
- How It Competes With Other Cards
In February 2019, this card was re-branded as the Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® Card. However, this card is no longer accepting applications.
Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card Overview
Representative APR: 39.7% APR variable
Annual fee: Based on £75
Credit Limit: Assumed credit limit of £1,200
Purchase Rate: 22.9% variable for purchases
This card unsurprisingly saves its top rewards for SPG members and those who use Starwood and Marriott hotels and resorts. Reward points can be earned on all spend, with even higher rewards earned through stays with the group.
Moreover, top redemption opportunities come in the form of free stays at Marriott group hotels and free flights. All of this comes with the benefits attached to a high-end American Express card and a welcome offer of 30,000 bonus points when you spend £1,000 in the first three months (subject to eligibility). Just be aware of the £75 annual fee.
You should note that you get so many five star benefits while using Starwood preferred guest credit card.
The card is packed with value, including a yearly free night that easily covers the annual fee. The Starwood-Marriott merger gives you a wide selection of hotels.
- Points don’t expire as long as the card is active every 24 months
- No blackout dates
- No limits on how many points you can earn
- Cash + points option available at participating hotels
- Can transfer points to a variety of airline partners at a 1:1 ratio
- Variety of redemption options, including hotel stays, upgrades, airfare, vacation packages, cruises, merchandise, gift cards, and charity donations
- Largest hotel network in the world
- High rewards rate
- Flexible rewards redemption
- No foreign transaction fee
- Bonus offer for new cardholders
- Has annual fee
- Requires good/excellent credit
- Marriott points are somewhat inflated, worth only 80% of the value of the average point
- Can only redeem points for travel through the Marriott Rewards program
- Most redemption options outside of hotel stays have a very poor value
- Hotels may limit standard room awards
Eligibility and Requirements
Being eligible for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card is as easy as it can be. To save time, it’s below are the basic requirements;
- Aged 18 or over
- A current UK bank or building society account
- Must have a permanent UK home address
- No history of bad debt
Therefore, you can apply through the American Express website. If you are not at fault in any of the above, then, your application takes less than 10 minutes and they may be able to give you a response in less than 60 seconds.
You will need to provide personal information, including your income and employment details. Apply Now.
Benefits of the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
Their benefits include;
- Welcome offer: Earn 75,000 Bonus Points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Terms Apply.
- Annual fee: $0 for the first year, then $95.
- Ongoing rewards:
- 6 points per dollar spent on eligible purchases at participating Starwood and Marriott hotels.
- 2 points per dollar spent on all other eligible purchases.
- Foreign transaction fees: None.
- Other benefits:
- Annual free night award.
- Automatic Silver Elite status and accelerated path to Gold.
Now that the Starwood and Marriott loyalty programs have merged, the points on this card are generally less valuable when redeemed for higher-end hotels and more valuable when redeemed for more affordable hotels.
Regardless of how you redeem, the free night award on this card still gives it a solid value, and its offerings are in line with other co-branded hotel cards.
Therefore, the previous version of the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express offered fewer points per dollar across the board and didn’t offer a free night award or automatic elite status.
How it Competes with Other Cards
The Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card is out there on the playing field with cards that have similar annual fees such as the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card, The World of Hyatt Credit Card, and the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card. There are some major differences to note, though.
All of these hotels cobranded credit cards offer status, but the SPG Amex and Marriott Premier Plus do so in a more flexible manner by providing elite night credits instead of a particular status level.
This allows you to use these elite nights toward a higher Marriott status if you stay at Marriott properties frequently.
When it comes to earning, the SPG Amex doesn’t have any strong earning categories except for purchases made at Starwood and Marriott properties.
So, you probably won’t want to make this your everyday card unless you are attempting to stockpile Marriott points for a particular redemption.
However, the card does offer several valuable perks like a free night after each card account anniversary, internet access at Marriott and SPG hotels and plenty of protections that the average consumer can take advantage of.
Plus, there are ample redemption options for your points ranging from hotel stays to transfers to airline partners.
1. Is the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express right for you?
However, if there’s no doubt in your mind that you could put to work the rewards and benefits on the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express. Especially the free night benefit — this card could be the right addition to your wallet.
2. What is Starwood preferred guest credit card from American express credit score?
In more general terms, you’re going to need a good or excellent credit score to be approved for this card.
3. How does the Starwood preferred guest credit card from the American express offer stack up?
The top redemption opportunities are all tied to spending at Starwood and Marriott hotels and resorts; which is great if this is how and where you already spend your money, especially as you get an extra points boost.
But the rewards are not as competitive if you are not an SPG member and are after a more generalised reward programme. Added to that, there are minimum spend requirements for some of the rewards.
4. How do I report my card lost, stolen, damaged or not received?
If your Card is lost, stolen, damaged or not received you can order a replacement Card for yourself or anyone else on your Account using your Online Services Account.
5. How do I cancel a Card?
To cancel your card, please call the customer service number on the back of your Card.
After looking at your options, I’m sure you have made up your mind on what you will be going for. Also, note that the excellent Marriott and Starwood credit cards are nearly identical. But this card’s waived first-year annual fee might give it the edge.
Finally, I’m sure you find this article helpful, kindly share this link and subscribe to this page to enable you to get more updates on related posts.