– How to Use a Guitar Hero Controller –
All of the Guitar Hero games come with a guitar controller that works on the console that the game was made for and on the PC.
This controller can be used to play any game that has the ability to utilize a USB controller. You can connect your Guitar Hero controller to your PC to extend your control’s use to PC games.
Type of Controller
The type of Guitar Hero controller you have figured into how you connect your Guitar Hero guitar to the PC. Guitar Hero controllers come in two varieties: wired and wireless.
Guitar Hero’s first generation of controllers was wired and feature either a USB cable or a PlayStation cable, depending on what console you purchased yours for.
These controllers were released with Guitar Hero 1, 2 and 3. Guitar Hero’s next generation of controllers were wireless and were released with all other Guitar Hero versions but 1, 2 and 3.
These controllers do not feature Bluetooth connectivity. Guitar Hero’s latest controller is the Guitar Hero Live controller, which features Bluetooth connectivity.
Wired Guitar Hero Controllers
How you connect your wired Guitar Hero controller to your PC depends on whether you have the PS2 or Xbox version of the controller.
For the PS2 version, purchase a PS2 to USB adapter from an online retailer such as eBay or Amazon and attach this to your controller’s cable.
Plug the USB end of the adapter into your computer’s USB port.
For the Xbox version, you can simply plug the USB end of the controller cable into an available USB port on your computer. Windows will download the necessary drivers automatically for your controller and will tell you when the controller is ready to use.
Wireless Guitar Hero Controllers
Wireless Guitar Hero controllers are a bit more complicated to set up compared to wired controllers, but it can still be done. Check the back of your guitar to see whether you have a PlayStation, Xbox or Wii controller.
Purchase a wireless USB dongle for the console version that you have. Plug this dongle into your computer and follow the dongle’s instructions for syncing the controller to your computer.
Note that, if you have the Guitar Hero Live guitar, you’ll need to either use your computer’s built-in Bluetooth connectivity or purchase a Bluetooth USB dongle.
- How to Cancel a Steam Account
- How to Configure PCSX2
- Steps to Convert Acsm to PDF
- How to Block & Unblock a Phone Number
Guitar Hero PC Games
A Guitar Hero controller connected to the PC can be used to play a variety of music-based games including Frets on Fire, Performous and Phase Shift. All three games are free and offer the ability to load custom songs that may not exist on Guitar Hero games.
You can set up the Guitar Hero guitar for PC on these games by going to the “Settings” section and then selecting “Controls.” Follow the instructions on-screen to map your Guitar Hero controller to the game’s controls.
How to Use a Guitar Hero Controller on a Computer
If you’re connecting your guitar Hero controller to a computer for the first time, make sure you follow the appropriate steps for whatever kind of guitar controller you’re using.
PlayStation®3 Rock Band Fender® Stratocaster® Guitar Controller
- Plug your guitar controller dongle into a USB port on your computer
- On your guitar controller, press the sync button so it begins searching
- Press the sync button on the dongle so it begins searching
- When the guitar controller has a solid light, that means it’s all set!
PlayStation®4 Rock Band Fender Stratocaster OR Fender Jaguar® Guitar Controller
- Make sure your computer is Bluetooth-capable. This is REQUIRED for pairing
- Once your computer is Bluetooth-capable, open your Bluetooth settings, where you’ll see a list of Bluetooth connections
- Turn your guitar controller on and hold the sync button(located next to the power LED on Fender Stratocaster controllers and near the D-Pad on Fender Jaguar controllers)
- This will add the guitar controller as a selectable option on your Bluetooth menu, choose the guitar and pick ‘Pair Device’
- Allow your computer to complete the pairing process and you’re done!
Xbox One Rock Band Fender Stratocaster OR Fender Jaguar
- You are REQUIRED to have a Microsoft Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows in order to use your Xbox One guitar controller
- You are REQUIRED to have Windows 10 Anniversary Edition. Searching for, and then running, ‘winver.exe’ will display your version number, which should be 1607 or higher.
- If you are using an Xbox One Fender Jaguar guitar controller, you are REQUIRED to apply a firmware update located here for your guitar controller to pair. The firmware will download to your computer alongside instructions on how to apply it. Xbox One Fender Stratocaster guitar controllers do not need a firmware update.
- On the Microsoft Xbox Wireless Adapter, press the button on the side and the device will begin searching
- On your Xbox One Rock Band guitar controller, power it up and hold the sync button(located next to the power LED on Fender Stratocaster controllers and near the D-Pad on Fender Jaguar controllers)
- When the guitar controller light stops flashing and is solid, you have successfully paired the controller
There is never a time that isn’t right to help. If this information was useful to you, do well to share it with friends and loved ones. It’s your turn to help other people. You can share this article on your favorite social media handle.