– How to Set Up Wireless Printers –
Wireless printing could be extremely useful. Newer printers can directly connect to your wireless network. This helps you to print from any device on your network onto the printer.
How to Set Up Wireless Printers
You can also print from your Android or iOS computer to your wireless printer, though this normally requires a bit more setup.
To set up and print from that device wireless printers need not be linked to a network.
This type of printer can be especially useful on a wireless network where many machines have to access the same printer. However, this must be set up properly before any machine can print to that printer.
Connecting the Printer
Place the printer within range of your wireless router. Most modern printers have Wi-Fi capability, allowing you to set them up without connecting to any of your computers. The printer will need to be in the range of your wireless router in order to connect to it.
- If your printer does not have wireless capabilities, see the next section.
Power on the printer. You’ll be connecting to the wireless network directly from the printer, so you don’t need to connect it to a computer first.
Connect the printer to your wireless network. The process for this will vary depending on the printer. You’ll need to know your Wi-Fi network name (SSID) and password.
- Many printers will allow you to connect to the wireless network using the built-in menu system. Refer to the printer’s documentation for the exact location. If you can’t find your manual, you can almost always download a PDF copy from the manufacturer’s Support site.
- If your printer and router both support WPS push-to-connect, simply push the WPS button on your printer, then press the WPS button on your router within two minutes. It will make automatically the connection.
- Some older wireless printers may require you to connect to a computer first to set up the wireless connection. This is common if the printer doesn’t have a built-in menu, but does support wireless. Connect the printer to your computer via USB, and use the included software to set up the printer’s wireless connection. After configuring its wireless, you can disconnect it from your computer and place it where you want.
More Details on How to Set Up Wireless Printers
- Add the printer to your Windows computer. After connecting the printer to your network, you can add it to your Windows computer so that you can print to it.
- Open the Control Panel from the Start menu (Windows 7 and earlier), or by right-clicking the Windows button (Windows 8 and later).
- Select “View devices and printers” or “Devices and Printers.”
- Click the “Add a printer” button at the top of the window.
- Select your printer from the list. It may take a moment to appear.
- Install any drivers if prompted. Windows should be able to automatically install drivers for the most popular printers.
- Add the printer to your Mac computer. If you’re using a Mac and the printer is Mac-compatible, you can add it after connecting it to the network.
- Click the Apple menu and select “System Preferences.”
- Also, click the “Print & Scan” button.
- Click the “+” button at the bottom of the list of printers.
- Select your new printer from the list and follow the prompts to install any necessary software.
- If your new printer isn’t showing up, make sure that your computer is connected to the same network. Sometimes restarting your printer can make it appear again. After you’ve set up, Print to any of your wireless printers. Once your printer has been added to your operating system, you can select it from any program that can print. Your new printer will appear in the “Printer” selection menu when you go to print your document or photo.
Printing From an Android
- Set up your printer so that it is connected to the network or to a computer. Before you can print from your Android device, your printer will need to be properly connected to your home network using the steps above, or directly to your computer via USB. You’ll be adding the printer to Google Cloud Print, which will allow you to send print jobs to it from anywhere from any app that supports printing.
- If the printer supports Google Cloud Print, you’ll be able to add it with minimal fuss. If the printer does not support Google Cloud Print, you’ll need to add it using a computer that it already installed the printer on.
- Connect your network printer to Google Cloud Print directly (if possible). If your printer supports Google Cloud Print, you’ll be able to connect it to your Google account directly from the printer’s built-in menu. Follow the prompts to log in with your Google account. Make sure this is the same Google account that is associated with your Android device.
- If you can connect your printer to Google Cloud Print, you can skip down to Step 9.
- If your printer does not support Google Cloud Print, you can still add it through your computer.
- Open Chrome on your computer if the printer does not support Google Cloud Print. If the printer cannot connect directly to Google Cloud Print, you’ll need to add it to your Google account manually. The downside to this is that the printer will only be available while your computer is turned on and logged in.
- You’ll need Chrome to set up your Google Cloud Print services.
- Make sure you’re using a computer that can already access the printer on the network. Follow the steps in the previous section to connect your computer to and set up your wireless printers first.
- Click the Chrome menu button and select “Settings.“ This will open a new tab.
- Click the “Show advanced settings” link and then scroll down. You’ll find the Google Cloud Print section towards the bottom of the menu.
More Detail Printing From an Android
- Click the “Manage” button to open the Google Cloud, Print manager. You’ll see a list of your currently connected devices.
- If you are asked to sign in, make sure you sign in with the same Google account that’s associated with your Android device.
- Click “Add printers” and you’ll see a list of printers connected to your computer. You may have multiple devices listed here, especially if your printer is a fax machine as well.
- Ensure your device is selected and click “Add printers.“ This will add your printer to your Google Cloud Print account.
- Download the Cloud Print app on your Android device. This will allow you to access your Google Cloud Print printers from your Android. You can download it for free from the Google Play Store.
- If you added the printer from Chrome, the computer that you added it from will need to be turned on with Chrome open or running in the background. If the printer can connect directly to Google Cloud Print, it just needs to be on and connected to the network. Print from your Android apps. Once Google Cloud Print is installed, you can print to your Google Cloud Print printers from any app that supports printing. Printing support varies from app to app, though most apps that open documents, images, and emails support printing. You can usually access the “Print” option from the ⋮ menu.
- How to Cancel a Steam Account
- How to Configure PCSX2
- Steps to Convert Acsm to PDF
- How to Block & Unblock a Phone Number
Printing from an iPhone or iPad
- Determine if your printer supports AirPrint. This feature allows iOS devices to send print jobs directly to the printer. Look for the AirPrint logo on your printer or for an AirPrint option in the printer’s Settings menu.
- Some printers need to be configured to use AirPrint first.
- AirPrint printers will need to be connected to the same network as your iOS device. Follow the steps at the top of this article to connect your printer to the network.
- If your printer doesn’t support AirPrint, you’ll need to find a printing app from your printer’s manufacturer.
- Open the app that you want to print from. Not all apps support AirPrint, but most apps from Apple and other major developers do. You’ll be most likely to find AirPrint options in apps that can open documents, email, and pictures.
- Open the item you want to print. Use the app to open the document, picture, or email that you want to print.
- Tap the “Share” button and select “AirPrint.“ This will allow you to select your AirPrint printer.
- Make sure you’re connected to the same network as the printer.
- Select your printer and tap “Print.“ Your file will be sent to your AirPrint printer.
There is never a time that isn’t right to help. If this information was useful to you, do well to share it with friends and loved ones. It’s your turn to help other people. You can share this article (How to Set Up Wireless Printers) on your favorite social media handle.