How To Fix “macOS Update Could Not Be Installed On Your Computer
Are you seeing the “macOS could not be installed on your computer” error when you try to update? In this article, we will show you how to fix this macOS error.
It can be very confusing and frustrating if you are a Mac user and you have encountered an error message that says macOS cannot be installed on your computer. When you reinstall your Mac or install updates and in many cases, when you just turn on your computer, you may face this problem. However, there are a few ways and methods that you can fix this error. In this article, we will show you how to solve the macOS that could not be installed on your computer error, and you just follow our lead.
How To Fix “macOS Could Not Be Installed On Your Computer” Issue
1. Restart and Try the Installation Again.
This may seem counter-intuitive to redo the thing that just didn’t work, but sometimes a restart is all your Mac needs to sort itself out.
2. Check the Date & Time Setting
If the displayed date and time don’t match reality, this could be the problem. Restart your Mac again if necessary, then go to System Preferences > Date & Time.
Click the lock icon and enter your password (if necessary) to enable changes, then click Set date and time automatically. After this, try the installation again to see if it works.
3. Free Up Space
In some cases, macOS will fail to install because it doesn’t have enough room on your hard drive to do so. To see how much you have available, click the Apple logo > About This Mac > Storage. You’ll see a breakdown of what’s living on your computer.
Hover your mouse over the white space at the right side of this bar to learn exactly how much space is free. If that seems a little low, you might want to move some non-essential files off temporarily to see if that lets the installation proceed.
- The Fastest Configuration for PCSX2 for How to Configure your PCSX2
- Chicco Corso Modular Travel System
- Graco Modes Nest Travel System
- 12 Best Free Calling Apps for Making Free Phone Calls
- Wifi Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration? Here are Steps to Fix It
Find the macOS Installer in your Finder’s Downloads folder, drag it to the Trash, then download it again and retry.
5. Reset the NVRAM
This is a tiny chunk of memory that stores basic information like the time, monitor resolution, and which disk to start up from.
You may need to go back into your System Preferences to switch any settings this changed, but you can try the installation again before that to make sure the problem is resolved.
6. Restore From a Backup
If you use Time Machine to regularly back up your Mac, you can try going back to an earlier state to see if it’s more compatible with the installer.
- Make sure your backup drive is attached, then restart your computer and hold Command+R until the Apple logo appears. Instead of going to the Desktop, your computer will prompt you to choose the main language, then open a window called macOS Utilities.
- In macOS Utilities, click Restore From Time Machine Backup, then click Continue.
- You’ll come to an intermediate screen with some information about what you’re about to do. Click Continue to move ahead.
- Choose the drive you store your backups to and click Continue again, which will take you to a screen where you can choose your most recent backup. Afterward, click Continue again.
- Your computer will restore the earlier backup, and you can see if the installation works.
7. Run Disk First Aid
This may help if you’re getting the “Unable to mount volume” error. First Aid will check your internal hard drive and make any fixes it can. It may even be able to mount the volume after it’s done. Then you’ll be able to retry the installation.
Use These Mac Utilities To Avoid Future MacOS Errors
As you’ve seen, there are several reasons an error message might say macOS could not be installed on your computer. We’ve shown you how to troubleshoot these problems, but you have a better chance of avoiding them if you keep your Mac in tip-top shape all the time.
Lots of free apps claim to help you do this. They offer to free up more storage or remove malware, but you shouldn’t be too quick to trust them.
We are convinced that we were able to cover all the information you require in this article, and we also hope that it fulfills its function of satisfying your search intent.