Which hotels allow 18 year olds to check-in? Do you want to travel and you’re afraid you might not be able to18-Year-Olds book a hostel because you’re 18? Well, the good news is that an 18-year-old can book a hotel, so you don’t need to cancel that trip you’re planning on taking.
In this article, we’ll be showing you the list of hotels that will allow an 18-year-old to book a room.
Hotels that Allow 18-Year-Olds to Check-In?
Checking in as an 18-year-old has always been a problem because most hotels won’t allow that, which means you may want to consider Airbnb.
Airbnb lets 18-year-olds check-in except otherwise stated in the “House Rules” section of a listing, and it’s very rare that a host asks their guests to be a certain age.
Plus, Airbnb is generally cheaper than a hotel.
The following hotels will allow 18-year-olds to reserve a room at some of their locations.
Who Sets the Age Policy for Hotels?
Often, it is not a corporate decision but that of the individual hotel property. There are hotels that permit 16-year-olds to check in while traveling, but they are limited.
It all depends on the hotel.
Since the individual hotel makes the decision, that’s why it’s best to check with the hotel before reserving to make sure.
Are There Hotel Age Check-in Requirements Around the World?
Europe, Canada, and Mexico all tend to follow this same standard of having 18-year-olds as the minimum age requirement to check in to their hotels.
If traveling internationally, though, be prepared. Call ahead and clarify your hotel’s policy.
What Age Requirements do Hotels Have?
- According to the Hyatt website, 21 is the minimum age for reserving a room, but that may differ from property to property.
- Both the Marriott and Holiday Inn websites say that there is no age requirement, but to contact the hotels directly that you are staying with.
- Hilton and Best Western do not answer this topic on their sites, so direct contact is the best option.
Which Hotels Allow 18-Year-Olds to Check-in?
- Age requirement: The terms of a service state that anyone 18 and older can stay at an Airbnb. Those renting to guests can always put a different age requirement under their “House Rules” section, but it’s very rare to see this.
2. Best Western
- Age requirement: Best Western hotels do not have a standard age limit across all locations.
- Find a Best Western location and call to determine the minimum check-in age
3. Drury Inn and Suites
- We confirmed with customer service that Drury Inn and Suites hotels do not have a standard age limit across all locations. Some locations will allow guests to check in at age 18, while others require guests to be at least 21.
- Find a Drury Inn and Suites location and call to determine the minimum check-in age.
4. Four Seasons
- Age requirement: There is no universal policy. Some locations will allow guests to check in at age 18, while others require guests to be at least 21.
- Find a Four Seasons location and call to determine the minimum check-in age
5. Hilton Hotels
Note: Brands include Conrad, Curio A Collection, Canopy, Doubletree, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Homewood Suites, Home2 Suites, Tru, and Waldorf Astoria)
- Age requirement: An online chat with a Hilton Hotel representative revealed minimum check-in ages vary by location.
- Find a Hilton location and call to determine the minimum check-in age
- Age requirement: Hostels are a cheap way for students to travel around a country. Because they cater to students, you can be 18 years of age to book a stay and sometimes even as young as 16.
- Find a hostel location and call to determine the minimum check-in age
7. Hyatt Hotels
- Age requirement: Hyatt states that generally, the minimum check-in age is 21. However, this policy may vary by location.
- Find a Hyatt Hotel location and call to determine the minimum check-in age
What Happens if You’re Younger than 18?
If you’re younger than 18, it will be a problem with check-in, in any hotel. This is because, in most countries, 18 years and above is the acceptable age.
Anything below means you’re a minor, and contracts signed by minors aren’t legally binding, leaving the hotel open to the risk of non-payment and also liable for a child.
But, don’t worry, there are a few ways to check in to a hostel even when you’re younger than 18.
1. Get written permission from an adult: Most hotels will accept written authorization from a parent, guardian, or adult if you are under 18.
They’ll often have their own liability form to be filled in by the adult. Call or email to inquire first, as it’s not compulsory for hotels to provide one, and instead, they can just turn you away.
2. Provide a credit card: Providing a credit card (even your parents’) means the hotel is able to easily get their money for letting you stay. It also means the hotel can bill the card for any damage you do to the room.
3. Negotiate: If you’re close to age 18, it might be worth a little polite negotiation. Many hotels are worried about guests being disrespectful in their hotels. If you can demonstrate that you are responsible, the hotel manager may let you stay.
Local Laws About Minimum Check-in Ages
Everyone is subject to the law, including the state, county, or city. The law has the final say in determining the minimum check-in age.
This is why hotels tend not to exclusively commit to a minimum age.
You should also call the exact location where you’re hoping to stay. They will tell you yes or no based on the local laws.
The truth is, it might be difficult to book hotels when you’re 18 years old. This is due to certain factors.
However, there are many hotels that will allow an 18-year-old to book a hotel and we’ve listed these hotels in this article.
Your show of maturity and being able to take care of things can also be of immense help to you.
In case you’re under 18, you will discover it is difficult to book a hotel room autonomously.
To extend your chances, bring a credit card or charge card that isn’t terminated, with authorization, and pay forthright.
To cover your costs to deflect the chance of non-payment.
Always carry a government-issued ID when checking in inn rooms, fair in case it’s required to affirm your age or confirm your credit card points of interest.