– Get Free Infant Car Seats –
Are you a parent, especially from a low-income family in need of a free car seat for your kid? In this article, we will go over all the ways you can get a free car seat for your kid.
One of the most significant moments of your life is being a parent. Your little bundle of joy depends solely on you and you can feel heavy on that burden-you want to give babies everything in your control.
You will be using a whole host of baby supplies, from infant car seats to diapers, to support you along the way.
The truth is that baby products are pricey and these things add up. To make your baby’s life comfortable, it might even feel like you are emptying your pockets.
You will get through the newborn process if you are a little smart about it without putting a huge hole in your bank account.
Choosing The Right Car Seat For Your Baby
Any car seat should be selected to match the size and weight of your infant. Your kid can always ride in a rear-facing car seat from birth to 12 months.
Infant car seats are designed primarily to face up. A list of car seats and suppliers, which is an excellent guide, is actually provided by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Car Seats Expire
One little-known reality is that after manufacturing, most infant car seats have an expiry date of 6-8 years. Plastics will not last forever, and after wear and tear, or just sitting in a hot car for years, the integrity of the car seat can be damaged.
Do not settle for any free car seat for infants that will come your way. The safety standards still need to be met by free baby car seats.
You would need to find a folding car seat if you want one that lasts into toddlerhood.
Ways To Get Free Infant Car Seats
Free car seats are also available from parents who choose to minimize clutter or from organizations that support families with low incomes.
Most of these groups are going to be local, so it’s worth looking at the local departments.
Charities And Nonprofits
A not-for-profit organization operating in all 50 states. In your city, you can find one or contact them over the phone. They can have car seats, and they can teach you to mount your car seat free of charge, too.
The Salvation Army is taking local donations and could have car seats to sell
This is another non-profit organization to try: consult with your local Planned Parenthood organization
This non-profit organization will assist you with obtaining a free baby car seat. Call to let them know that you are not in a position to have a car seat for your baby
This nonprofit’s mission is to provide low-income children with diapers, clothing, and basic necessities. They’ve distributed 39 million items in 7 years and are available in 20 cities across the US.
Their site also lists some resources, for example for children in Los Angeles. Support is provided for kids 0-12 with gently used gear necessities.
- WIC (Women, Babies, and Children)-The WIC program provides states with federal funding for services that provide women, infants , and children with nutrition and health education. There are eligibility criteria for the overall program, but car seats can also be obtained if you have already enrolled.
- Social services-The Department of Children & Family Services will also assist with a free car seat to help you out. To profit from their schemes, be armed with the necessary paperwork and evidence that you are the child’s legal parent. For example, a Child Safety Seat Education and Distribution Program is available in Fairfax County.
- State Departments of Health-For example, Texas has a distribution program for SafeRiders Car seats, but it was discontinued during COVID.
- Police & Fire Departments – Your local police and fire officers can often help you to get a free infant car seat. They are also handy for helping to install your car seat
Private Insurance or Medicaid-If you are insured, then if they provide free baby car seats, you should ask your health insurance provider. Depending on the state, for example, Medicaid provides this service.
You can look through your policy document for more details, or you call customer support and specifically ask
Offers baby showers, which can include extra benefits if you join. Free diapers and diaper bags can be given after a pregnancy notification form is filled out. If a doctor’s prenatal visit is made out, a convertible car seat is given. These are some of the services offered in Texas, such as
- Amerigroup – Gives car seats following 13 prenatal visits to the doctor
- Molina – Provides car seats after 6 prenatal doctor visits
Buy Nothing Group
Started with a mission to bring communities together, your local buy nothing group may offer useful household items
A listing marketplace that occasionally has free or at least discounted items
Toyota Buckle Up for Life
Car seat donations from a car manufacturer
This is a social networking site for neighbors and a peaceful place to list goods
One of the web’s most well-known free classified listings started in 1995. Craigslist has localized pages and car seats can be identified by local donors and arranged for pickup.
If not free, the car seats are also discounted heavily. Since the background of the car seat cannot be verified, there is a possibility of this route going.
- Ask Your Pediatrician – Pediatricians may be well placed to direct you to a local organization that can help you with a subsidized or a free infant car seat program
- Local hospitals–While at the hospital giving birth, you can also check with them for resources
Having a safe, free car seat for babies is just the first step. Making sure it’s correctly configured is also important. This goes for both larger and smaller car seats.
A whopping 95 percent of new parents wrongly install their car safety seats. Certified technicians will actually install the car seat for you, usually for free, to avoid sacrificing the protection of your child.
There are also car seat installation courses occasionally. The CAPP (Children Are Invaluable Passengers) program funded by the Phoenix Children’s Hospital, for example, provides a class on child safety seats in Arizona, although the cost is $35.
It is worth asking for help if you or someone you know is worried about being able to afford a car seat. After all, for that very reason, certain organizations and programs are there.
Check out the options we have given you before you think about getting a used car seat from someone.
We hope this article has been helpful to you. Please share it with anyone you think will appreciate the information and kindly drop your comment below.