If you’re looking to attend college or get ahead in your career, a General Education Development test (or GED) can help you achieve your goals. This article is here to guide you in how to get a free GED test.
You may be worried about paying for test preparation or fitting a preparation course into your schedule. You should consider looking for GED preparation courses online.
Although the actual GED must be taken at a state-approved facility, test-takers can find plenty of free options that will not only prepare them for the GED but provide them with a way to study for the exam on their own time.
Free GED Classes for Adults
For many, the flexibility of online courses is the best option. GED.com is operated by the official GED Testing Service and offers both free and paid resources.
You start by taking free GED sample tests in each of the GED subjects: math, language arts, social studies, and science. These sample tests help you identify what you already know and what you need to study.
GED.com also helps you locate on-site prep classes near you as well as testing centers.
State and Community Resources
If you prefer to learn in a classroom, this might be the best route for you. Start with the resources your own state provides if you live in the U.S. States vary in their requirements and resources, but all will point you in the right direction to getting the support you need.
Community resources include classes offered at adult education centers around the country, and almost every library carries GED books you can check out as well as information about local study groups.
If you need literacy help, many communities also have free literacy councils.
While they may not be free, check out your local community colleges and state schools, which may offer both in-person and online options.
You might even be able to find study groups or tutoring services if you need more one-on-one support.
The website MyCareerTools.com is an online academy that teaches a range of courses for career development. GED prep is just one of these.
They offer a GED Academy built around videos and interactive quizzes, as well as a range of tools to help you plan and stay on track to earn your degree.
Study.com GED Program
Study.com is a well-established educational website that offers content on a variety of subjects. It also offers a GED program that is free for the first 30 days.
After that, you’ll have to pay a monthly subscription fee. The program includes five GED study guides, thousands of practice questions, and more than 300 test prep video lessons.
Through Study.com, you can watch educational videos, take quizzes and tests, and track your progress. What makes this program special, though, are the live tutors who can help you if you get stuck.
Test Prep Toolkit
This online resource offers a variety of instructional videos that you can choose to watch when your schedule permits.
The videos are posted on Youtube and you can stream them on your computer or even your smartphone, making this a convenient option for studying on the go.
You can find resources for each of the test sections, as well as practice tests and general GED information.
GED Adult Scam
The Federal Trade Commission offers a lot of information on high school diploma scams because they are so abundant.
Watch out for these classic scam signs:
- The class is entirely online, with NO classes, NO in-person test and NO interactions with teachers. A legitimate program will offer specific days and times for testing and will not be all on-demand.
- You have to pay a flat-fee for the diploma but not the classes. A legitimate program may ask you to pay for testing or classes, but they will never ask you to pay for the diploma itself.
- The school promises you a diploma in just days or even hours. Legitimate programs require to you invest time, learn the material and demonstrate competency.
- The school promises you a degree for your work or life experience alone. Legitimate programs require you to demonstrate competency in the material.
- The program claims to be affiliated with the federal government. Legitimate programs are affiliated with your state, not the federal government.
- The high school equivalency diploma test is not the GED, HiSET, TASC, or CHSPE. Legitimate programs will only use one of these four tests because they are the only ones approved for use. These tests must be administered in person, proctored, and closed-book.
1. What are scam websites?
A scam website will offer to sell you a GED® diploma or high school diploma without requiring testing or coursework. These are websites that claim you can take the test at home, online or via mail. Be aware, if you purchase a diploma from a scam website, it will not be accepted by schools, employers or the military because it is fake.
2. What is the difference between a GED® and a high school diploma?
A high school equivalency certificate shows that you’ve passed a high school equivalency test (GED, HiSET or TASC) and demonstrated the skills equivalent to a high school graduate. A regular high school diploma is earned by completing the curriculum and requirements of an accredited high school. Some states offer an Adult High School diploma.
When you consider enrollment in a program, be sure that it fits in your lifestyle. There are options that provide classes on weekends, weekday nights, or on weekdays.
However, make sure that you are capable of committing to the schedule and the demands of whatever program you choose.
Was this article useful? If Yes! Please leave your comment. For more related articles, subscribe to our blog.