Can essential oils work for Water retention? First, water retention is described in puffiness and swelling, extra pounds, and general discomfort. What is the safest way of getting rid of it? However, recently, researchers have found using essential oils for water retention may help to get back the optimal balance.
Water retention is a pretty common condition, but it can be frustrating. The water levels in your body are regulated by both the circulatory and lymphatic systems. Every once in a while, fluid can build up in the tissues, causing bloating and swelling.
By making a few simple lifestyle changes, you can help stop water retention from becoming a regular problem. And adding in a few natural remedies can help relieve your symptoms.
How Can Essential Oils Help with Water Retention?
Aromatic oils are concentrated plant essences, with a very complex chemical profile. This profile is made of tens of active, tiny molecules.
Each molecule acts in complete synergy with the others. Thus, each oil has its own characteristics and properties/effects on our health.
Essential oils can be anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antiviral. They can also be antiseptic (pain relieving), antioxidant, calming and soothing. Some of them even have sedating effects and can help the skin regenerate.
But most importantly, essential oils have diuretic and vagotonic properties. They are also great stimulants and can help detoxify the body and skin. All these properties make them good natural remedies in getting rid of mild edema.
- Diuretic refers to a substance that can stimulate the kidneys. That leads to the production of more urine. Going to the bathroom often will also help detoxify and expel all excess water. Not to mention that urinating can also help regulate your blood pressure.
- Venotonic refers to the ability of a substance to help drain the veins and capillaries.
- A stimulant is when certain molecules help the organs perform their tasks better.
Essential Oils For Water Retention
1. Chamomile Essential Oil
Chamomile essential oil is one of the best options for different types of skin conditions and it provides many skin benefits. It’s mostly popular for its anti-inflammatory properties which makes it suitable for the remedy of water retention.
Therefore, it also works as great remedy for skin problems caused by water retention.
- It works for the treatment of inflammation.
- It helps to reduce anxiety and depression.
- Also it removes toxins from your body.
- It prevents infections and helps to eliminate infection which already exists in your body.
- It helps to support the functioning of a healthy immune system.
2. Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree essential oil is another excellent option that is most popular for its medicinal qualities. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that deal with puffiness caused by water retention.
It’s also famed for its fighting nature against all kinds of infection. Because of its different health benefits, it’s commonly found in medicines, cosmetics, and household products.
- It helps to reduce inflammation.
- It helps to speed up the wound healing process by increasing white blood cell activity.
- Also it works for the remedy of fluid retention, acne, and dandruff.
- It boosts the immunity of your body and fights against infections.
3. Cypress Essential Oil
Cypress essential oil is good for cellulite and one of the best remedies for water retention because it acts as venotonic. It works as a natural treatment for carpal tunnel (which causes inflammation and swelling) and hence decreases fluid retention and reduces inflammation.
Its diuretic properties help to flush out toxins from your body.
- Its antibacterial and antimicrobial properties help to clean and improve the wound-healing process.
- It prevents different kinds of infection.
- Also it stimulates the drainage of toxins.
- It reduces pain and swelling effects.
4. Juniper Berry Essential Oil
Juniper berry essential is great for the remedy of edema.
It has anti-inflammatory and diuretic properties which work as a great remedy for swelling and puffiness caused by water retention. It has a slightly woody aroma.
- It reduces swelling and puffiness.
- It improves blood circulation in your body.
- Also it improves lymph congestion and lung function.
- It helps to heal and protect skin.
5. Atlas Cedarwood Essential Oil
Atlas Cedarwood essential oil is another great option for the remedy of water retention because of its anti-inflammatory and diuretic properties.
It can boost up the lymphatic system and prevent fluid retention. This excellent essential oil also is famous for its therapeutic properties among the other essential oils.
It also has many other properties such as Antifungal, Antispasmodic, Antiseptic, Anti-Seborrheic, Antioxidant, Astringent, Calming, Detoxifying, Stimulating, Sedative, Soothing, and Restorative, which provides many health benefits.
- It improves blood circulation and helps drain toxins.
- Also it helps to reduce harmful stress and ease tension.
- It naturally helps to reduce hair loss and dandruff, and enhance skin quality.
- It improves the blood circulation and decongests the veins.
Essential Oils Recipes for Water Retention
1. Blend Recipe to Help Drain Excess Fluid
What is needed:
- Add 10 drops juniper berry
- 10 drops grapefruit
- 10 drops rosemary
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 oz amber glass dropper bottle
- Add all oils to a glass dropper bottle and shake well to combine.
- Place 5 – 7 drops using deep massaging motions towards the heart for about 5 minutes.
- Elevate your legs by propping them up a cushion.
2. Foot Soak for Swollen Ankles & Feet
What is needed:
- A foot soak tub filled with hot water *as hot as you can handle
- ¼ cup Epsom salts
- Add 10 drops grapefruit
- 10 drops cypress
- Fill a tub with hot water and while the water is running, throw in ¼ cup of Epsom salts and let it disperse.
- When you’ve collected water halfway through the tube, add the essential oils and carefully immerse your feet.
- Soak for 15 at least minutes to reduce pain and swelling. You can do this every two weeks or whenever the pain gets unbearable.
- This foot soak can also be used safely for pregnant women suffering from edema in form of painful swollen ankles and feet.
- After the soak, keep your legs straightened in front of you or rest them on a stool or cushion.
Water retention usually refer to as a consequence of collecting water under the body structures in medicine. So, even though there are a number of western treatment choices for this, the use of essential oils for water retention is one of the most beneficial agents.
At the same time since using such herbs will not cause side effects, anyone can use it confidently. Thus, you may also avail of these benefits from today onwards.
Was this article useful? If Yes! Please leave your comment. For more related articles, subscribe to our webpage.