– Does Delta Skymiles Expire –
Does Delta Skymiles Expire? There’s no point keeping you on a cliffhanger. The answer is No, Delta SkyMiles do not expire as long as you have an account with Delta.
However, Delta does reserve the right to terminate your account if:
- There is fraudulent activity on the account
- You request the closure of the account
- The member passes away
- Do not respond to repeated communication attempts regarding the status of your account
- You live in or relocate to a country where membership is prohibited by law
- You violate the terms of the Membership Guide and Program Rules
Earning Delta SkyMiles
There are several ways you can earn Delta SkyMiles without booking a Delta flight.
Travel with Delta Partners
You can earn Delta miles by linking your SkyMiles account to these travel partners:
- Lyft: Earn 1 mile per $1 spent
- Airbnb: Earn 1 mile per $1 spent on all
- Airbnb stays worldwide
- Hotels: Partners include Marriott Bonvoy, IHG, World of Hyatt, and Radisson
- Rental Cars: General members earn 500 miles per rental with most agencies
Shopping and Dining SkyMiles
Shopping includes nationwide partners such as Apple, Under Armour, and Nike. Instead of going directly to the retailer website to place an order, open a shopping session through Delta SkyMiles. After completing the purchase, the retailer relays Delta the purchase amount and you receive SkyMiles.
Most merchants pay up to 5 miles per $1 spent. If you shop online regularly, this is an effortless way to earn bonus miles.
SkyMiles Dining partners with local restaurants so you can earn 5 Delta miles per $1 spent. This is a fun way to discover new restaurants or stretch your dollar further at your already favorite joints. Plus, you can earn dining rewards from your credit card with each meal.
Convert Partner Points
If you have credit card points, hotel points, or Hertz points at risk of expiring, you might be able to convert them into Delta SkyMiles. The best conversion option is transferring your American Express Membership Rewards points on a 1:1 basis to your Delta account.
However, you have many other travel redemption and transfer options that can be more useful if you are not flying Delta anytime soon. Most conversion partners are not a good option. You are better off redeeming them for an award night, possible.
Get a Delta Credit Card
Another easy way to earn Delta miles on every purchase is by getting a Delta credit card. The best Delta credit cards have options for different types of travelers.
If you’re an infrequent traveler, the Blue Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express doesn’t charge an annual fee (See Rates & Fees). It earns 2 SkyMiles per $1 spent on Delta purchases and at U.S. restaurants.
How to Redeem Delta Miles
Because Delta SkyMiles don’t expire, you can bank them up for award flights. The only potential risk is if Delta starts charging more miles for award flights than the present. Delta doesn’t publish an award chart.
Therefore, their award flight prices fluctuate as flight times, demand, and travel days influence the current cash value price. Below are the various ways in redeeming your delta miles;
- Taking domestic award flights from 4,500 miles and above.
- A trip from United States to Europe from 25,000 Miles and above.
- Seat upgrades
Earn SkyMiles Faster With Delta Credit Cards
Delta credit cardholders can earn SkyMiles more quickly by simply using their cards on every purchase they make. When using their card on Delta purchases they earn two SkyMiles for every dollar spent.
They can also earn two SkyMiles for every dollar spent on dining purchases in the U.S. For every dollar spent on all other purchases, they earn one SkyMile. Cardholders will also receive a 20 percent statement credit on in-flight Delta purchases.
SkyMiles rewards are the same for all of the credit cards offered through Delta, including the Gold Delta SkyMiles card, the Platinum Delta SkyMiles card, and the Delta Reserve Credit Card from American Express.
The difference between the three is in the extra perks available to cardholders. All offer one free checked bag and priority boarding.
The Platinum and Delta Reserve cards add a free coach companion ticket every year at card renewal as well as a miles boost for qualifying for Medallion elite status.
As you work your way up the tiers of Medallion membership you continue to earn extra perks. The signup bonuses increase from the Gold to the Platinum to the Delta Reserve cards, but so too do the annual fees.
The annual fee for the Gold card is $95, $195 for the Platinum card, and $450 for the Delta Reserve card.
12 Best Ways in Using Your Delta SkyMiles
Having known all that is to be known about Delta SkyMiles. Here are some tips on the best way in using Your Delta SkyMiles;
- Delta One-Way Awards Within the U.S. for as Low as 5,000 SkyMiles
- Virgin Australia to the South Pacific Islands From 55,000 in Economy Each Way
- Book Air France Business Class for 75,000 SkyMiles Each Way
- Virgin Atlantic to London in Upper Class for 86,000 SkyMiles Each Way
- Aerolineas Argentina and GOL to Patagonia for 100,000 SkyMiles in Business Class Each Way
- AeroMexico to Mexico City and Madrid From 82,500 SkyMiles in Economy Round-Trip
- Fly Chinese Airlines in Business Class for 85,000 SkyMiles Each Way
- Fly From Japan to Australia or New Zealand in Business Class for 75,000 SkyMiles
- Add a Side Trip to Vietnam for 40,000 SkyMiles in Business Class
- Head to One of the Most Beautiful Pacific Islands for 115,000 SkyMiles in Business Class
- Fly Garuda Indonesia from Indonesia to Amsterdam for 95,000 SkyMiles in Business Class
- Fly From the U.S. to The Maldives in Business Class for 100,000 SkyMiles
Regarding if Delta SkyMiles Expire In very rare instances will Delta miles expire. This comes in handy if you can’t earn them quickly but want to save up for a large redemption. You also have the flexibility of flying domestic or traveling abroad. You won’t pay outsized taxes and fees in the process.
We hope this article was useful and educative, do well to share these messages with friends and loved ones. If you have a question, kindly drop your comments below.