– Can You Connect Airpods to PS4 –
Do you want to play games with AirPods? Apple AirPods are a convenient and effective wireless audio solution that works with a wide range of Bluetooth-enabled devices. When trying to connect them to a PS4 or PS4 Pro, however, this is a problem. Here’s a one-stop-shop for connecting your AirPods to your PS4.
Having your own
Playstation console is one of the nicest gifts you can give to yourself as a gamer.
However, these aren’t exactly inexpensive.
That’s why no one can blame you for not wanting to spend additional money on gaming headsets and instead opting to use your trusty AirPods instead.
This may lead you to spend more of your hard-earned cash on
PS4-compatible headsets or go for less expensive wired headphones. But don’t give up hope yet!
Whether your AirPods are supported or not, our handy guide will walk you through some clever hacks for connecting them to your PlayStation console wirelessly.
We’ll even show you how to troubleshoot any audio problems you might have.
Can You Connect Your AirPods to PS4?
Yes, to put it succinctly. It is feasible to game with
AirPods on your PS console of choice, but there are some caveats.
Unfortunately, while all official PlayStation wireless controllers link to your system via Bluetooth, you won’t be able to do the same with your wireless headphones.
Even the new PlayStation 5, which had a spectacular launch last year, does not include this capability, much to the chagrin of many gamers.
So why didn’t Sony just provide complete Bluetooth support out of the box?
According to Sony’s official statement, the Bluetooth profiles used by PS systems differ from those used by most Bluetooth devices.
Simply, conventional Bluetooth gadgets do not work with PlayStation systems.
We’ll need to get a little technical to grasp their argument.
Bluetooth devices must communicate using the same Bluetooth profile in order to connect correctly.
The PS home consoles, on the other hand, only support Hands-Free Profile (HFP) and Handset Profile (HSP).
Most Bluetooth devices nowadays, on the other hand, adopt the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP).
Signal interference and latency issues, on the other hand, could be one of the numerous reasons why Sony refuses to include Bluetooth audio in their systems.
Wireless headphones transmit audio in a different way than their corded counterparts.
In order for the audio signals to be heard, they must constantly compress and decompress them. Audio lags can occur as a result of this process.
Because gamers use wireless controllers, having
built-in Bluetooth audio capabilities may cause the controllers’ signal to be disrupted.
These can be a pain to deal with, especially in games.
When played, they necessitate accuracy and precision.
The last thing a player needs during an online match is a lot of lags. After all, one of the biggest selling points of the PS home consoles is the ability to play online.
What to Expect When Cconnecting AirPods to PS4
Inability to use
AirPods functions: While connected wirelessly to the PS console, some AirPods features will most likely be unavailable.
Your AirPods will eventually devolve into a standard pair of truly wireless headphones.
We refer the time it takes for data to get from its source to its destination across a network to as latency.
Player inputs, voice, video, or text chat could be used in home consoles like the PS4.
Milliseconds are used to quantify latency (ms).
If the delay is brief, it is unnoticed. But if it takes more than a few milliseconds, it’s called “lag.”
Because gamers use wireless controllers, having built-in Bluetooth audio capabilities may cause the controllers’ signal to be disrupted.
These can be a pain to deal with, especially in games.
When played, they necessitate accuracy and precision.
The last thing a player needs during an online match is a lot of lag. After all, one of the biggest selling points of the PS home consoles is the ability to play online.
How to Connect AirPods to Your PS4
A Bluetooth adaptor is the most common remedy for Sony’s home consoles’ lack of
It merely takes a few simple steps, and the Bluetooth adaptor stated before.
If you don’t want to spend the money, there are still other options for connecting your AirPods to your PS gaming console.
However, you’ll still need a separate technical gadget to connect your AirPods to your PS console.
The good news is that you might already have access to them without even realizing it.
The procedures outlined in the following sections are applicable to all PS4 versions.
They also apply to the PS5, albeit there are a few small interface variations.
Similarly, the AirPods and their numerous variants.
Using a Bluetooth Adapter
As previously noted, this will necessitate the purchase of a Bluetooth adapter.
It will all be well worth it if you don’t mind paying a bit more for wireless connectivity.
The GuliKit Bluetooth Adapter is what we’ll be using for the following few phases.
It comes with a built-in 3.5mm tiny microphone for audio chat right out of the box.
This is a crucial capability that most Bluetooth adapters lack.
Before you begin, make sure that at least one of your PS console’s USB ports is available for the Bluetooth adapter to connect to. Otherwise, follow the instructions outlined below:
1. Connect the GuliKIt Bluetooth adapter to one of your
PS console’s free USB ports, and it should go into pairing mode automatically.
2. Put your AirPods in the charging case and push the setup button until the status light turns white to enable pairing mode.
3. The Guilikit Bluetooth adaptor should then connect to your AirPods automatically. To avoid interference, make sure no other Bluetooth devices are turned on.
4. Pressing the AirPod’s case’s setup button
5. Connect the small microphone to the 3.5mm audio connection on the controller.
6. Go to your PS console’s Home to ensure that the AirPods and GuliKit are correctly connected. Make a selection of options.
7. Getting to the PlayStation Options
8. Select Devices, Audio Devices, and Input Devices from the drop-down menu.
9. Select Headset Connected to Controller from the drop-down menu.
10. Select the Controller-Connected Headset
11. Return to the Audio Devices page. This time, however, choose the Output Device. Choose USB headphones as an option (USB Audio Device).
12. Select USB headphones (USB Audio Device)
13. Return one last time to Audio Devices. This time, however, select
Output to Headphones. On the right side of the TV screen, a sidebar will emerge. All Audio should be selected.
All Audio Is Set.
Using the Remote Play App
Sony’s official app for its PlayStation consoles is called
Gamers can broadcast their PS4 or PS5 games on their smartphones with this program.
Onscreen controls or any PS controllers can be used to play games.
It simply turns any smartphone or tablet into a smaller monitor for playing PlayStation games on.
That’s all well and dandy in terms of games.
What they don’t tell you is that Remote Play also lets you link your AirPods to your PS consoles wirelessly.
To utilize the Remote Play app on your smartphone, follow these steps:
1. Remote Play can be downloaded and installed from Google Play or the Apple Store.
2. Downloading and installing the Remote Play app
3. Go to Settings, then Remote Play Connection Settings on your PS console to enable the Remote Play option.
4. To get to Remote Connection Settings, go to Settings > Remote Connection.
5. From the drop-down menu, choose Enable Remote Play.
6. On your phone, launch the Remote Play app. It will begin to connect to your PlayStation console.
7. Pair your AirPods with your smartphone if you haven’t already.
8. Tap the three dots/ellipsis (…) in the bottom-right of your
Remote Play app screen to enable the microphone. This will allow you to use your AirPods to talk on the phone.
Using a Smart TV
Smart TVs would account for more than half of all televisions sold.
It’s not surprising, given that it was already at 45% in 2020.
Smart TVs are available from all three of the biggest television manufacturers.
Despite the fact that they operate on various operating systems, they all have Bluetooth built-in.
This allows your AirPods to connect wirelessly to your PS console, although in a roundabout way.
As long as your Smart TV is Bluetooth compatible, the methods outlined below will work with any brand.
1. Ensure that it properly connected your HDMI cables from the PS console in their respective ports on your Smart TV.
2. Put your AirPods in pairing mode.
3. Go to your Smart TV’s sound settings. It’s located in the Sound icon on an LG Electronics Smart TV. Sound Sync should be selected.
4. Sound Sync will show you all of your Bluetooth devices. Take a look at your AirPods and decide which ones you want to use.
5. Go to Sound Out after selecting Sound.
6. From the drop-down menu, choose LG Sound Sync/Bluetooth.
7. A list of Bluetooth devices that are currently available will emerge. Take a look at your AirPods and decide which ones you want to use.
What to do if You Can’t Hear Anything From Your AirPods
You can’t really rely on Sony for help because they’ve never actually acknowledged third-party Bluetooth devices.
Here’s a quick guide to troubleshooting any audio issues you might have while connecting your AirPods to any PS console.
Troubleshooting Audio With Bluetooth Adapter
If you’re having trouble getting audio out of your AirPods despite using a Bluetooth adapter, make sure your PS console’s system has the proper input and output volume settings.
To do so, first go to your PS Home menu, then:
1. Select Adjust
Microphone Level from your console’s Settings, Devices, Audio Devices menu. Make the necessary adjustments to your microphone settings.
2. Return to Audio Devices and pick Volume Control this time (Headphones). You can adjust the volume of your headphones here according to your preferences.
3. Return to Audio Devices one last time, and choose Output to Headphones this time. There will be a dark sidebar emerging. All Audio should be selected.
Troubleshooting Audio With Remote Play App
When utilizing the Remote Play app with your AirPods, some complications may arise, especially if it is old.
When software is out of date, it usually causes a slew of problems.
The Remote Play app is in the same boat.
Fortunately, upgrading it is a straightforward process.
Simply go to Settings and select System Software Update.
Troubleshooting Audio With the Smart TV
Check your cords, especially those connecting your PS console to your Smart TV, if you can’t hear anything when utilizing Smart TVs.
To resolve the audio issues, follow these steps:
1. Make sure there aren’t any snagged cable connections. Take note of the cable type and the port to which it was connected.
2. Switch on your PlayStation. Then go to Sounds, then Settings.
3. Depending on your cable setup, adjust the parameters accordingly.
The AirPods’ ability to connect to the PS console is currently limited.
However, such restrictions may be lifted (hopefully) in the near future.
Especially as newer Bluetooth technology becomes available to the general population.
While Sony has yet to give compatibility for other Bluetooth devices, you now know that with a few creative workarounds, it is still doable.
Please kindly share with family and friends and also comment in the comment section below.