California Middle-Class Scholarships: As an average student in California, you may be eligible for thousands of dollars in financial aid. Also, if you are a California resident who is planning to attend a university, there is good news. There are some scholarships that you may want to consider.
There is no need to give excuses about not being about to go to college anymore. The California Middle-Class Scholarship (MCS) provides funding to help middle-class students.
This is to help students attend the University of California or California State University. Also, In this article, you will get the necessary information you need about this scholarship.
California Middle-Class Scholarships – How it Works
This is how the California Middle-Class Scholarships works. Each year, the state allocates funding for the program.
For University of California (UC) students, the goal is this. It is to fund scholarships that cover up to 40% of UC’s tuition and fees.
California Middle-Class Scholarships – What to Expect
Please note that, the maximum scholarship amount varies. This depends on family income, assets and other financial aid awards.
Also, students with family income up to $177,000, please note. California Middle-Class Scholarships covers 10%-40% of tuition and fees. Furthermore, this applies to those with household assets of no more than $177,000.
Things to keep in Mind
California Middle-Class Scholarships award amounts are determined this way. They ate determined after a student is awarded any federal Pell Grant. As well as Cal Grant and UC need-based grants for which the student is eligible.
When going for the California Middle-Class Scholarships, please have this in mind. You may receive the award for up to 4 years. This is dependent on your education level when awarded. Also, if you are selected, you will be notified by CSAC.
A student will be awarded a scholarship on the following grounds:
- That these awards, taken together, do not already exceed the amount the student is entitled. Especially entitled to under the MCS program.
Also note this. The final award amount will be based on:
- The number of students eligible for the scholarship statewide.
- The funding allocated for the program by the State Budget.
- American mathematics competition for Students
- Market competition and Method Winning Customers
- Monopolistic competition and How to Apply
- Perfect competition and How to Apply
The eligibility of the California Middle-Class Scholarships cuts across:
- New students at the University of California.
- Transfer and returning undergraduate students at the University of California.
- California State University undergraduate students are eligible. Especially those with annual family income and household assets of up to $177,000.
- California resident or have AB 540 status.
- Those not in default on a student loan.
- Students who maintain satisfactory academic progress.
- Students who filed a FAFSA/California Dream Act Application.
However, final eligibility is determined by campus financial aid offices. Also, it may be adjusted based on other aid offered.
Some California Middle-Class Scholarship
1. California Child Development Grant Program
This is open to students who plan to major in a career related to child care or teaching.
The award offers about one hundred scholarships worth $2,000 to eligible students. However, students must plan to take at least half-time coursework.
2. California Law Enforcement Personnel Dependents Grant Program
As a California Middle-Class Scholarship, it provides grants to children. Also, it provides to spouses of state employees. They are those who have been injured or killed in the line of duty.
The awards start at $100 and go up to $12,192. The awards are renewable for up to four years. These awards are given out based on financial need.
3. California Strawberry Commission Scholarship Program
This is one of the California Middle-Class Scholarships. It provides awards to the children of farmworkers. These farmworkers are those who worked in the strawberry industry. There is verification of a parent’s employment in the strawberry industry
In order to be eligible, students must be in their last year of high school. Students must plan to attend a college or university. Also, applications must be received prior to the deadline.
Furthermore, students must hold at least a 2.0 grade point average. The award can be used to defray the cost of tuition and books. It can also cover housing and meal plans. Eligible students must submit a high school transcript and two recommendation letters.
4. Mahatma Gandhi Scholarship Awards
This is also a California Middle-Class Scholarship. It provides awards of up to $30,000 to eligible students. In order to be eligible:
- Students must be graduating from a high school in the San Diego area.
- Students must produce a short essay on the topic of peace and non-violence.
5. McDonald’s of Southern California Ronald McDonald House Charities
This provides awards to high school seniors in the Southern California area. Students are chosen based on academic merit. Also, they are chosen based on demonstrated leadership abilities. Furthermore, they are chosen based on involvement within their community.
Students must plan to attend a college or university and hold at least a 2.7 grade point average.
Students must be residents of both the United States and California. Additional requirements apply depending on the grant.
In a Nutshell
As a middle-class student in California, you may want to try the above options. Also, you may want to complete the FAFSA registration. This will determine whether you are eligible for any federal or state scholarships. Also, please note that college-specific awards may be available to students from California.
You should inquire with your financial aid department. Also, you can inquire in your academic department about available scholarships.