– Best Buy Near Me 2022 –
Shop Best Buy for electronics, computers, appliances, cell phones, video games & more new tech. In-store pickup & free 2-day shipping on thousands of items.
The Best Buy student discount provides you with access to deep discounts on computers, televisions, and a variety of other electronics.
What is Best Buy all About in 2022?
Best Buy Co., Inc. is an American multinational consumer electronics retailer headquartered in Richfield, Minnesota.
Originally founded by Richard M. Schulze and James Wheeler in 1966 as an audio specialty store called Sound of Music, it was rebranded under its current name with an emphasis on consumer electronics in 1983.
Best Buy operates internationally in Canada, and formerly operated in China until February 2011 (when the faction was merged with Five Star) and in Mexico until December 2020 (due to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic).
Amazing Facts About Best Buy Company in 2022
The company also operated in Europe until 2012. Its subsidiaries include Geek Squad, Magnolia Audio Video, and Pacific Sales.
Best Buy also operates the Best Buy Mobile and Insignia brands in North America, plus Five Star in China. Best Buy sells cellular phones from Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility, Sprint Corporation, in the United States.
Best Buy also produces products under eight house brands in 2022:
- Dynex – Discount electronic and computer equipment such as Blu-ray players, data and power cables, HDTVs, office supplies, storage media, and webcams
- Init – Storage products such as media storage, equipment bags, totes, and furniture for home theaters
- Insignia – Electronic equipment, small appliances, and accessories including adapters, cables, HDTVs, mini-refrigerators, and tablets
- Magnolia Design Center (in select Best Buy stores) – design and installation of custom home theater setups
- Magnolia Home Theater (in select Best Buy stores) – High-end home theater selections for both audio and visual equipment, including 4K, 3D, and large televisions, projectors, receivers, and speakers
- Modal – style-oriented mobile accessories, including Bluetooth speakers, cables, and cases
- Pacific Sales (in select Best Buy stores) – High-end appliances
- Platinum – Highest-quality in-house brand for the company, producing many products, such as cables, cell phone accessories, tablet accessories, and digital imaging equipment
- RocketFish – Cables primarily used with home-theater installation and setup, as well as on computer and gaming accessories
- RocketFish Mobile – Phone cases, gel skins, clips, and chargers for cell phones, GPS, and other exclusive high-end products
5 Things to Know About the Best Buy Credit Card
1. There are Two Basic Best Buy Credit Cards
You can apply in-store or online for a Best Buy credit card, but the process is a bit opaque. Essentially, there are two basic versions:
- My Best Buy Credit Card: This is a “closed-loop” store card, meaning it’s accepted only at Best Buy and BestBuy.com. There is no annual fee.
- My Best Buy Visa: This is an “open-loop” credit card, accepted anywhere that takes Visa. This card comes in two versions, with the only significant difference being the annual fee. When you submit your application, Best Buy will tell you which one you’ve been approved for:
Gold – This version has an annual fee of $59.
Platinum – This version has no annual fee.
According to Best Buy, when you apply for a card, you are first considered for the My Best Buy Visa Platinum (open-loop, no annual fee).
If you don’t qualify, you’re then considered for, in order, the My Best Buy Credit Card (store card) and finally the My Best Buy Visa Gold (with annual fee).
2. Rewards Rates are Decent, But Redemption is Clunky
Best Buy Near Me 2022. Carrying any of these credit cards means joining the My Best Buy shopper loyalty program, as rewards are earned as points in that program.
You then turn those points into rewards certificates: Every 250 points earns you a $5 reward certificate, giving the points an effective value of 2 cents apiece.
For shopping at Best Buy, the rewards offerings are the same on either card version. You’ll get:
5% back on all purchases at Best Buy (2.5 points per $1 spent).
Flexible financing options (more on that below).
But the Visa version of the card goes a lot further. Beyond 5% back at Best Buy, you’ll also earn:
3% back on gas purchases (1.5 points per $1 spent).
2% back on dining and grocery purchases (1 point per $1 spent).
1% back on other everyday purchases (1 point per $2 spent).
Again, every 250 points will earn you a $5 reward certificate.
3. Deferred Interest May Be an Option
The cards advertise occasional “no interest if paid in full” offers (aka, “deferred interest” offers), ranging between six and 36 months, which might sound attractive.
With such an offer, interest is not waived, as it would be with a true 0% intro APR promotion. Instead, a deferred interest offer merely sets aside that interest until later.
4. You’ll Get an Incentive for Opening the Card
Like many store credit cards, Best Buy offers a one-time incentive for new cardholders.
A common offer is to receive a total of 10% back in Best Buy points on your first day of purchases when you are approved for the card.
That means if you’re spending $2,000 on your first credit card purchase, you’ll get 10,000 points. That’s equal to $200 in Best Buy rewards certificates.
Unlike many credit cards, you won’t have to spend a certain amount on purchases on your new card before you receive the bonus.
5. If You’re not a Die-hard Shopper, You Can Do Better
But with its $59 annual fee, the Visa Gold is not a good deal. Even if you were an Elite Plus member, you would have to spend nearly $1,000 at Best Buy before your rewards would make up for the annual fee.
If you’re considering a credit card, you’d want either the My Best Buy Credit Card (store card) or the My Best Buy Visa Platinum.
Have You Heard About the 2022 Best Buy Student Discount?
The Student Discount program offers steep discounts on specific products to college students.
Namely, stuff that college students need. Think laptops, tablets, memory cards, charging cords, printers, etc.
Unfortunately, the discount program is not available to high school (or younger) students.
So while the discount is not a flat dollar or percentage off like other student discount programs, it’s still worth knowing about, especially during the back-to-school season and around Christmas.
How Do I Sign-Up?
- First, you’ll need to either Sign-In or Create a “My Best Buy” account.
- Next, you’ll be asked for your name, email, mobile number, school, and approximate date of graduation.
- After you submit your information, you’ll get a text message with a verification code attached.
- Just enter the code and you’ll gain immediate access to all of the current student discounts.
What Types of Discounts Can I Expect?
As I mentioned earlier most discounts are on college tech items like tablets, laptops, earbuds, cables, and other accessories.
A few recent student deals that caught my eye include the following:
- – $100 OFF a Samsung Galaxy Tab.
- – $250 OFF select MacBook models.
- – $140 OFF a Hewlett Packard Laptop.
- – 30% OFF a bunch of Microsoft accessories like a wireless mouse, keyboard, and Xbox One controller.
- – $300 OFF a 2-in-1 HP Spectre Laptop.
The company was named “Company of the Year” by Forbes magazine in 2004.
Specialty Retailer of the Decade” by Discount Store News in 2001, ranked in the Top 10 of “America’s Most Generous Corporations” by Forbes in 2005 (based on 2004 giving), made Fortunemagazine’s list of “Most Admired Companies” in 2006, and “The Most Sustainable Company in the United States” by Barron’s in 2019.
Please feel free to leave a comment, like, and share with friends and family!