– 21st Century Insurance –
21st Century Insurance prides itself on a quick claims process that you can manage through its mobile app, among other app-based services. It’s best for people who are fine with not having a personal agent.
21st Century is a subsidiary of Farmers Insurance that offers budget-friendly policies to drivers in California and Hawaii. Compared to larger companies, 21st Century’s coverage options are relatively limited, and it doesn’t provide many educational resources.
But if you’re looking for cheap, customizable auto insurance without bells and whistles, it’s a viable alternative to the bigger brands.
21st Century Insurance is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Farmers Insurance Group. This insurer has been around for over 50 years.
As part of the Farmers Insurance Group, they have written more than 20 million insurance policies nationwide through 50,000+ independent agents
21st Century Auto Insurance Coverage Options
21st Century keeps to the basics when it comes to coverage options. It’ll give you standard coverage that includes liability, personal injury, comprehensive, uninsured/underinsured motorist, medical payment, and collision coverage.
But it doesn’t have many of the more “premium” options you might expect such as 24/7 roadside assistance or new car replacement coverage.
Instead, these are the only three extra coverage options that 21st Century offers:
- Rental car reimbursement: If you are unable to use your car for more than 24 hours due to an accident, 21st Century will reimburse you for $30/day or $50/day for 30 days, bringing the maximum total to $900 or $1,500. The $50 option is offered as an upgrade to the $30 option.
- Custom equipment coverage: If you’ve modified your car, you can take out insurance to protect non-standard features of your vehicle.
- Deductible waiver for uninsured/underinsured driver: If you get into an accident with an uninsured/underinsured driver, 21st Century will waive your collision coverage deductible.
Auto Insurance Discounts
While its coverage options may be limited, 21st Century does offer a generous roster of discount and reward programs, including:
- Good student discount: High-performing high school and college students are eligible for discounts.
- Good driver discount: Drivers with a good track record may receive a discount.
- Superior driver discount: Drivers with no traffic violations or accidents in the past four or five years may be eligible for a discount to their premium.
- Mature driver discount: Drivers over age 55 who have completed defensive driver courses may be eligible for a discount.
- Multi-car discount: Drivers that add more than one vehicle to their policy are eligible for a discount.
- Defensive driver discount: Drivers who have completed a defensive driver course may be eligible for a discount.
- Anti-theft device discount: Drivers who own a vehicle with an anti-theft device that uses the GPS to aid in its recovery may be eligible for a 15 percent discount on their comprehensive coverage premium.
Pros and Cons of 21st Century Insurance
- Multiple discounts are available. Get a break on your premiums with a clean driving record, multiple policies and more.
- Digital convenience. Its mobile app makes it easy to make claims, pay bills, view your account and even request roadside assistance.
- SR-22 is available. Getting insured after a major moving violation can be difficult, especially a DUI or DWI. But 21st Century can help.
- Backed by Farmers Insurance. Since it is a relatively small company on its own, it’s part of the Farmers Insurance Group that employs more than 50,000 agents across the nation.
- Limited availability. 21st Century car insurance isn’t available outside California.
- Customer satisfaction. This provider ranked below average for customer service and satisfaction across multiple review sites.
- Six-month policies only. If you’re looking for a policy that renews annually, you won’t find it with this provider.
- How To Get Out Of A Car Lease Early
- Financing Car Through Dealer or Bank
- Things to Do in Anderson South Carolina
- How Do They Get Cars in The Mall
- Zero Percent Car Loan
How to Apply for 21st Century Car Insurance
You can apply for auto insurance coverage with the 21st Century on the website or by phone. With all of your documents and information on hand, you should be able to get coverage in under an hour.
- Visit the 21st Century home page.
- Fill in your ZIP code and click Start your quote.
- Fill out your personal information, vehicle details, and driver details.
- If you’re satisfied with your quote, fill in your information to purchase your policy.
- Call 888-535-9410 and speak with an agent.
What Do I Need to Apply?
- Personal information including first and last name, date of birth, and gender
- Address including ZIP code
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license
- Vehicle registration
- Financial information
Home Insurance Coverage Options and Discounts
21st Century also offers homeowners insurance as an additional insurance product, though coverage and discounts are limited.
- 21st offers full replacement cost coverage for home and personal property.
- Policyholders have access to 24-hour online customer service.
- Several payment options are available to meet the needs of the customer.
- Customers receive a 10% discount on homeowners insurance.
Is 21st Century Car Insurance Right For You?
If you’re a driver in California who needs new car insurance, 21st Century might be a good option if you don’t need extra bells and whistles to bolster your policy.
The traditional collision, comprehensive, and liability coverage are all offered by 21st Century, and its excellent financial health should ensure your claims are fulfilled.
However, you should always shop around for quotes when you’re looking for a new car insurance policy. After all, switching insurance companies when it comes time to renew doesn’t affect your premium.
So it’s always in your favor to look elsewhere if you feel you’re paying too much. We can help you look for the best rates instantly — enter your ZIP code below and see for yourself how much you can save by comparing the quotes and dozens of other auto insurance companies.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is 21st Century a good company?
In our research, we found that 21st Century performed worse than many of its competitors. We found that its premiums were typically higher, it received more complaints than other similarly sized insurance providers, and offered fewer coverage options.
2. Does the 21st Century offer homeowners insurance?
21st Century offers homeowners insurance. If you have both a car and home insurance policy with 21st Century, you may be eligible to receive a 10 percent discount on your home premium.
3. Who bought 21st Century Insurance?
In 2009, Farmers bought 21st Century Insurance. Farmers purchased the company from AIG, and paid a reported $1.9 billion.
4. What are my payment options with 21st Century Insurance?
Payments are accepted by ACH, credit card, debit card or money order.
5. What is the 21st Roadside Assistance™ Program?
This program provides 24-hour towing, lock-out service and more for each car that a customer insures with 21st Century, at no additional cost.
Across most consumer surveys, 21st Century doesn’t rank as high as larger companies like State Farm or Allstate, and it doesn’t provide quite as many coverage options or add-ons.
It’s also one of the only providers we’ve reviewed without an Accident Forgiveness program.
But on the whole, its premiums are cheaper than big-name companies, and if you need to submit a claim, you have the entire Farmers system at your disposal.