| |

Everything You Need to Know about Spokane Housing Assistance

– Spokane Housing Assistance –

If you are in need of housing assistance, then you are in luck as Spokane Housing Assistance is here for you! However, there are several agencies that can assist you with both rent payments and subsidized housing units.

Spokane Housing Assistance

Spokane Housing Authority is a Public Housing Agency in Spokane, Washington that participates in the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV), Public Housing, and Homeownership Voucher programs.

Spokane Housing Authority (SHA) annually provides housing assistance to over 5,500 families of low income through a combination of tenant-based rental assistance, project-based rental assistance, SHA-managed apartment communities, and scattered-site housing.

To provide, develop, and promote quality affordable housing options in the communities we serve.

Housing Assistance

SHA offers the following rental assistance programs:

1. Public Housing

Public Housing is HUD-subsidized apartment units and properties with rental help that is ‘attached’ to the unit. Rent paid by the tenant is based on the income of the household.

2. Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher

  • Tenant Based Housing Choice Voucher (known as Section 8)

This is a ‘portable’ voucher that can be used with any property that meets HUD Housing Quality Standards. After the initial 12-month lease, the tenant may be able to move to another location.

For information on the current status of the waiting list, click here to visit the waiting list status page.

Rent paid by the client is based on household income.

Pre-applications will be placed on the waiting list by time and date of receipt of the pre-application and preference. Applicants without a preference will be placed at the bottom of the waiting list according the date of receipt of the application. Preferences are:

  1. A family whose head, cohead, spouse, or sole member is a person with disabilities; two or more persons with disabilities living together; or one or more persons with disabilities living with one or more live-in aides.
  2. A family whose head, cohead, spouse, or sole member is a person who is at least 62 years of age; two or more persons who are at least 62 years of age living together; or one or more persons who are at least 62 years of age living with one or more live-in aides.
  3. Applicant families with dependent children. Preferences will be verified and must be valid when an applicant reaches the top of the waiting list.
  • Project Based Vouchers

These vouchers are assigned to specific addresses. If a tenant chooses to move, the assistance remains at that specific address.

Rent paid by the client is based on household income. Project-Based Voucher waiting lists are specific to the properties where the vouchers are assigned.

The following properties currently have Project-Based Vouchers:

  • Agnes Kehoe Place
  • Market Street
  • Casa Salvadas
  • Sharon Lord
  • Walnut Corners
  • Bel Franklin
  • Pearl on Adams
  • Elm Street
  • North Hill
  • Newark Apartments

The waiting list is open, and applications are available through our front desk during lobby hours.

  • Referral Vouchers

SHA has partnered with the following community agencies to provide vouchers through a referral program:

  • Catholic Charities
  • Frontier Behavioral Health
  • Northeast Community Center
  • Transitions
  • Spokane County Supportive Living
  • Volunteers of America (VOA)
  • World Relief
  • YWCA

3. Tenant Based Section 8 Homeownership

The Waiting List for the Homeownership program is now open through September 15, 2019. See more information on the HomeOwnership page.

  • After at least 12 months of assistance with a tenant-based voucher, qualified households may be eligible to use their voucher to assist with mortgage payments. Rent paid by the client is based on household income. For more information, contact your Eligibility Specialist.

Read Also:

Spokane Housing Agencies

Spokane Housing Agencies

Spokane Homeless Coalition

The Spokane Homeless Coalition provides a centralized intake service that provides housing placement throughout Spokane. They can help you whether you have already lost your housing or if you are at risk of losing your housing.

You can call (509) 325-5005 to learn more about their Spokane housing assistance programs.

Northeast Washington Housing Solutions

In fact, the HOME Program from Northeast Washington Housing Solutions is one of the coolest Spokane housing assistance programs I’ve found.

This program is modeled after Section 8 and provides a two-year housing subsidy. They also have a Low Rent Public Housing Program and issue Section 8 vouchers. In order to contact them, you’ll need to call (509) 328-2953.


If you’re looking for Spokane housing assistance, you can contact DSHS for assistance. They have several programs that may be able to assist your family, including TANF cash benefits, Emergency Assistance funds, Diversion Cash Assistance (DCA), HEN, Pregnant Women’s Assistance and so much more.

In order to determine what DSHS programs you might qualify for, you can contact them directly or use this eligibility calculator.

Catholic Charities of Spokane

Of course, Catholic Charities of Spokane also provides Spokane housing assistance. It is important to realize that you need a pay or vacate notice (or a utility shutoff notice) to receive assistance.

They also prefer that you are referred but a Church or affiliated organization. Regardless, you can contact them at (509) 455-4963 on weekday mornings.

Salvation Army of Spokane

Certainly, the Salvation Army of Spokane is worth contacting when you’re in a crisis. This agency can help those who are facing eviction, as well as those who need help with furniture, clothing, and children’s school uniforms.

If you lose your housing, then you may be interested in their transitional housing solutions and homeless shelter referrals.

Additionally, you may call the Salvation Army Referral Service at (206) 281-4600 for help identifying other Spokane housing assistance resources.

Goodwill Industries of the Inland Northwest

If you are eligible for HEN, then Goodwill Industries of the Inland Northwest may also assist you with rent payments, security deposits and utilities.

You can also receive cleaning supplies, hygiene items, and bus passes from this location. Give them a call at (509) 462-0518.

Sometimes everyone struggles in life and paying rent isn’t an exception. Fortunately, there are several agencies as mentioned above that can assist you with paying your rent in Spokane. For affordable housing properties, including subsidized properties, you can visit Here

Spokane Housing Assistance FAQs

1. What is Section 8?

Section 8 is a federally funded rental assistance program that pays private landlords the difference between what a low-income household can afford and the fair market rent.

2. Why is the wait so long?

Because of the high demand of affordable housing, and comparatively low supply, it is not rare to be on a waiting list for several years.

3. How do I apply for affordable housing assistance?

Depending on the housing program you apply to, applications for an open waiting list will be available from the area’s housing authority, or by an affordable apartment community’s management company (or landlord).

If this article is useful then so will your friends, why not share it on your social media platforms.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *